Tough day at Wac 8/28

I didn't get as early of a start as I'd hoped and didn't hit the water until about 9:30 or so. The tide was already pretty high and slowly coming in which frankly surprised me given there was a strong ENE wind which I figured would blow all the water out. The wind was blowing too hard to really do much but stick tight and work shorelines, islands, and points. I was working with a disability too as my trolling motor is broken despite the repairs I'd done this morning. Anyway since I was "spot" fishing without a trolling motor I was fishing cut mullet and ladyfish under a cork while I threw topwater and soft plastics. I had a quality red smash the topwater plug next to a bar several times but not hook up and that would be the story of the day today. Any good hits I had failed to connect, but all I could really seem to get bites on was the topwater, spoons and soft plastics didn't seem to get so much as a look. The cut bait rod landed a bunch of catfish and a 3 foot spinner shark that broke me off three times after three separate aerial battles. I'd retie and then 10 minutes later he was after me again. I called it a day around 3 when I was surrounded by storms and it started gusting almost 30 knots. The water was rushing out hard when I left. I got rained on pretty hard on the run back to the hill. Pretty tough day, and I wasn't even able to sneak out into open water to save the day with a tripletail. I tried to but it was just way too rough out there. Hoping for some cooler water and a better bite soon... and a working trolling motor. I also fished two weeks ago with Steve but didn't post a report. I landed a mid slot red and a decent tripletail. The water was really dark and it was tough to get even the tripletail to bite. He casted a fly rod at them for a while and hooked one and lost it. We will probably make it out for another attempt coming up soon. Sorry for a lack of pics, nothing worth a photo lately :blahblah

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    It was rough out there today! I gave up about noon:rotflmao
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Yeah I kept hoping after the tide turned the bite would pick up but it didn't happen!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,290 Admiral
    nick wrote: »
    It was rough out there today! I gave up about noon:rotflmao
    I heard your secret spot was compromised.
    lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    I heard your secret spot was compromised.
    lol

:huh
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 918 Officer
    yea I'm waiting for cooler weather too
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Yea that wind started blowing pretty good. We were out there and did pretty good on the Reds. 14 Reds with all but three in the slot. I'll post up some pictures later. Wanted to get out into the bay but the wind would not let up.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Flybynight1Flybynight1 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I have a riptide trolling motor (white) with the anchor lock and all if you are looking for one I lost the brand new hand controller when I threw some stuff away lol I got a new boat with all black powder coat so am going to get a black one just thought I would throw it out I live in Inglis
    How much you asking? I was really looking for a hand control model.
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Yea that wind started blowing pretty good. We were out there and did pretty good on the Reds. 14 Reds with all but three in the slot. I'll post up some pictures later. Wanted to get out into the bay but the wind would not let up.....

Well hell I must have been doing it wrong! Either that or the bite happened real early?
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Better days ahead. Things should pick up after this storm passes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]