Fish ID

I was wondering if anyone could identify the fish at 5:06? It was about 2 feet long.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHByklDS0gQ&index=10&list=PLZQ4BqOkCoIhAgXAVEYVXTM-yLhRwhHIO

Replies

• NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 491 Deckhand
    Looks like a rainbow runner.
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Why didn't you blast that cobia? Undersized?
  • k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Why didn't you blast that cobia? Undersized?

I was thinking the same thing cobia for sure and it looks like a rainbow runner but i have only caught them out deep not sure of the depth where you were
  • k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    We got into the rainbow runner out by the oil rigs and had a blast
  • SalmononeSalmonone Posts: 71 Deckhand
    It was at the White City Bridge Reef in 55 fow I believe. As far as the cobia, I am fairly new to spearfishing. I shot an AJ once and it was quite a load to handle under water. I've caught some cobia on hook and line and they can be a handful. Just didn't feel ready I guess. Here is a pic of the back of my boat after catching back to back cobia.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,569 Captain
    The fish in question is definitely a Rainbow Runner, very good on the table. I never have seen Cobia resting on the bottom like a Nurse Shark. Very nice video.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,888 Moderator
    conchydong wrote: »
    The fish in question is definitely a Rainbow Runner, very good on the table. I never have seen Cobia resting on the bottom like a Nurse Shark. Very nice video.

:Agree Ditto on the cobia just laying there. This video again makes me wonder WHY this county only has one artificial reef ? :huh
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Salmonone wrote: »
    It was at the White City Bridge Reef in 55 fow I believe. As far as the cobia, I am fairly new to spearfishing. I shot an AJ once and it was quite a load to handle under water. I've caught some cobia on hook and line and they can be a handful. Just didn't feel ready I guess. Here is a pic of the back of my boat after catching back to back cobia. [ATG]221080[/ATH]

I see, totally understand. Those things will go wild!
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 876 Officer
    Thanks for sharing that Video, It always amazes me to see how many different species live on a wreck at different times. I dropped the go pro on at white city during the winter and it was loaded with gags, sea bass and even triggers but not a single mangrove