FPI Offshore Late July/August Reports

Haven't posted a report in a while and I guess if time lapses you have to re register and I had a password/user name problem. Anyway here's a few reports from the last few times out of Ft. Pierce Inlet from late July to last Thursday.

After June I usually never go out past 100' and usually just bottom fish the offshore bar in 80'. Experience has taught me that chasing that killer weedline or rip out in deep water usually ends up burning gas with little more than small schoolie phins, bonita, barracuda and sharks. We usually get more dolphins on flat lines when we bottom fish then my buddies that go miles in search of Mahi in late summer.

Snapper bite has been solid since spring and we managed to get some decent size dolphins, kings and cobia. My friends who free dive have been killing cobia on every trip but for me this has been the slowest summer for cobes.

Grunt chunks and sardines have been my bait of choice and live goggle eye caught some nice ones too. I use long leader - 15' 40lb flurocarbon and circle hook for the snapper. Best bite has been when tide is running the right direction from the south with lite ESE wind. When tide has us using 4-8oz to hold bottom the bite has been best. Our worst trip of summer was last Thursday, full moon with absolutely no current and we still managed a few mangos some big seabass and big kings.

Didn't get any trophy snapper except one ARS hit 13lbs on the boga. Earlier this spring and summer we would have problems getting bait past thos ARS.We had some days the yellow tail were there but haven't caught one this August. Ever since about 2 weeks ago the sharks have been thick and last thursday it was pretty bad. Think that slack current makes the shark bite worse.

Here's a few pics from our last few trips.

Last thursday was no current and snapper bite was off but we got a few mangos and some big seabass. Smallest one on this table was 14" and that's pretty big for around here.

snap%20n%20bass_zpsfm4vdkty.jpg

cut4_zps23zkbq0f.jpg

My boat anchored up in 80'

spot%20b_zpsi8q2f221.jpg

Caught a lot of muttons at this size all spring and summer but last thursday not a single mutt.

mutt1_zpsxd8c1q4e.jpg

phin_zpsxoxejv7k.jpg

Me and my main fishing buddy Big Wave Dave

portside_zpsgraiojpk.jpg

mango1_zpskecxnagq.jpg

mango2_zpsw1bw6g6o.jpg

mango%20dave_zps9x1r3w8y.jpg

dave%20mahi_zpskndluqa4.jpg

dave_zpsskpryth6.jpg

davecobe_zpsugis7ikj.jpg

daveking_zpsaabq4lqb.jpg

davebeer_zpscziyq1rm.jpg

ct2_zpsnggltfsg.jpg

catch_zpseaklxcmu.jpg

cobedrink_zpsamudfze4.jpg

beeline_zpspirruclk.jpg

cobe%2026_zpss9bkvkfo.jpg

10418536_10200688332687986_1013507019889122054_n_zpst2mkdfmz.jpg

2king_zps3zjkejek.jpg

It has been one of the hottest summers I can remember
image_zpstndetfzd.jpeg

Replies

• PortFiercePortFierce Posts: 127 Officer
    Nice report. Thanks for the info
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Couple of good months for ya!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,267 Officer
    Some Quality fish there BD, nice job
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Nice.

Thanks for the report.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    Great pics and write up! When fishing for snappers with the long leader, do you drop all the way to the bottom and feed that line out or do you suspend the bait?

I always heard the bigger snapper can be quite elevated from the seafloor?

Also in that pic of the guy holding the mutton, is that a van staal or an older pen in the rod holder?

Classic looking reel either way!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    Yea Doc!
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 687 Officer
    Great pics and write up! When fishing for snappers with the long leader, do you drop all the way to the bottom and feed that line out or do you suspend the bait?

I always heard the bigger snapper can be quite elevated from the seafloor?

Also in that pic of the guy holding the mutton, is that a van staal or an older pen in the rod holder?

Classic looking reel either way!

Good eye!

That's me holding the mutton and the rod/reel in the background is an old Mitchell. My buddy Dave bought the reel at a yard sale a couple years ago. It was brand new in the original box from maybe 30+ yrs ago. That rod is always in our flat line spread when we are anchored up bottom fishing. Holds plenty line and stout as hell. It has been a lucky rod and landed many big fish from a dead boat 30lb+ dolphin, cobia and kings. Landing a big fish from a dead boat is all about line capacity and drag and this old reel has it. This Rod/reel is the long line in our spread.

As far as depth goes, the newer bottom machines/chirp transducers are awesome. I usually do several drifts over potential spots to look for schooling and feeding fish. With my Garmin I can tell the depth and difference between triggers, yellowtail, snappers, groupers and AJ's. I use reciprocal heading then anchor in a position so my boat is 20-70' up current of the FISH not the SPOT. If current is lite or slack I use split shot or free line. Snapper will sometimes come up to the boat and if I see that on the machine the we use no weight at all. Reds and mangos do this, never seen muttons come up like that.