CK fun 8/21

My boat's been down for a few weeks with a starter issue (Thanks D&K in Alachua for repairing and saving me $350!) so I have been getting the shakes from withdrawal. My buddy got to my house at 5:30am Sunday morn and we loaded up and headed out to Cedar Key. My plan was to abandon all my typical spots that I usually catch trout and target reds specifically. Well it felt like I hit the lotto as I pulled in to my first spot and saw swirls and tails almost immediately. In about 18-24" of water off an island and I dropped the poor-man's power pole and rigged up a shrimp on a cork. Popped it 3 times and got the first hook-up. Red #1 to the boat but he was 1/2" short of slot so back in he went. Rigged up another shrimp and back in the water. 10 seconds go by and I get hit again with red #2. Right away I can feel this one is a little bigger. Net comes out and we put our first keeper in the cooler. Third time's a charm as just a few minutes later I would catch #3, the biggest but still lower slot.
My buddy at this point is a little pissed that I'm catching all the fish. He's been working a jig with a Gulp shrimp and having zero luck. Being the nice guy that I am I offer my rod to him and rig up a shrimp. I grab my flats blue rod that everyone on here loves so much and tie on a bone zara spook. Now self admittedly I am a complete novice when it comes to topwaters, and that is 100% due to lack of confidence. I have an arsenal of tackle I got from my pops but never use it. Well this was the day that the script got flipped. It took me about 3 casts to comfortably start walking the dog (those youtube vids DID help!) On the 5th cast I saw the most beautiful sight ever, water swirled, my spook got inhaled, and my line went taught. I was in disbelief for a split second before I snapped out of it and set the hook. Drag started screaming and I knew I had a monster red on! This fish put up a great fight and took a lot more effort to get to the boat. Once I had him tired and up to the boat the disappointment came. It was a Jack. :banghead Grabbed him for a quick pic and let him go. The fight was worth it though.
That spot dried up and we moved around to a few more places catching trout, couple more small jacks, cats, sharks, etc but that was it for the reds unfortunately. Slack tide killed it. I'm gonna start a log of tides and weather and what we were catching fish on. That first spot we were at had water moving so fast on the point that my 12v trolling motor could barely keep up. It sure was fun catching fish other than trout for a change.

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,580 Captain
    Congrats on a good trip and finding a new spot:thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sp00n-sp00n- Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Beautiful red, three spots!
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Sounds like a great trip. Jacks are a fun bonus when throwing topwater. Now that you have confidence its addicting.
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    Awesome! We were in a school of reds also at CK on Saturday. Sounds like things are picking up over there. Heading over again this Saturday. Getting as much fishing in before the big Gator games start. We're ya'll burning up over there? It was hot as hell late morning then the winds picked up after noon and made it bearable.
    Grasshopper
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Once you get the topwater addiction it's boring to throw much else!
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 310 Deckhand
    Gator4Life wrote: »
    Awesome! We were in a school of reds also at CK on Saturday. Sounds like things are picking up over there. Heading over again this Saturday. Getting as much fishing in before the big Gator games start. We're ya'll burning up over there? It was hot as hell late morning then the winds picked up after noon and made it bearable.

Surprisingly the heat didn't seem to bother us as much as it has the last couple months, maybe it was all the beer we were drinking?
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Like Jim said, once you get that top water fever there is nothing else like it.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead