CR 8/20

Hello everyone, been a while since I have posted, so here is a post. Went out Saturday, and OMG, it did not start out well. I had just changed waterpumps and thermostats and had not been out yet, but early Sat, got to the ramp, backed it down, floated off and crap, one of the motors would not go into gear. Have to load it back up, pull it out, I had the tools handy, so I just dropped the lower unit, put the unit into neutral, slide it back up and bolt it on, and good to go at this point, but man what an ordeal.

So instead of being underway and on spot around 8 or so, we get out a bit later, but we go out..sucked having to wait in line to launch again, but oh well, nothing can be done about that.

We get underway and man oh man, could NOT ask for better seas.........smooth running the whole way out to 30 miles.........just beautiful on Saturday.......smooth all day and on the way back in........sure makes getting off shore easy.

We get anchored and it begins.........bunches of undersized grouper, lots of grunts, many too small to keep, but some were. Then we latch onto some big nice snappers.......now I have a question. I was sure they were mangroves, but they sure could be confused for Cubera Snappers when they are this big.........they are not as pink fresh out of the water........do we have Cubera Snappers here or are these Mangroves, just looking like Cubera since they are so big? Anyways, here is a couple pics and you can see how big these snappers are.....fat eating. Overall, boat ran great, everything worked well, caught fish and made it back early.

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    Those are mangrove snapper. They get bigger and are often a different color as they move further offshore. They are very often grey when they are freshly caught. They are also known as grey snapper.

We have some cubera snapper (which look very similar), but you need to run to the Middle Grounds to have a shot at catching one.
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Thanks Doc, I appreciate that. It was a great day and they sure were fun to fight when they get this big.........never caught any this big before.
  • k-dogk-dog Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Nice snapper and it sure looks clam in the background.
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Nice
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Very nice. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    :thumbsup
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Nice groves!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,882 Captain
    One of my favorite fish!! Mangrove snappers. Nice ones too! Take one of those small grunts an put it on a float, and put it out back. There are some cobias swimming out there. Oh Yeah- Go Mountaineers!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ruff One wrote: »
    One of my favorite fish!! Mangrove snappers. Nice ones too! Take one of those small grunts an put it on a float, and put it out back. There are some cobias swimming out there. Oh Yeah- Go Mountaineers!!

When you say put it on a float, you mean just let it run free or put a balloon on and let it swim around under that? Should I cut him open or whop off the tail so its floundering around a bit?

GO EERS!!!!!!!
    Use a ballon or some kind of float. Use a live bait, do nothing to him. Just float back behind the boat. King fish have a habit of showing up also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for that tip Ruff, I appreciate that and for sure will try that next time........I have been watching people float balloons around with something under them and have wonderered how to do that...do I hook it through the lip or the back if you don't mind sharing and about what depth under the balloon would be best?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    I hate to see people using balloons out there. Turtles eat them and die.

A better system is something like a ready rig float that releases down the line once it hits the rod tip:

http://www.redirig.com/

A lot of cobia fishermen use these and I think that Tom does also. I use about 6' of leader when I float live baits. The other approach is to set the bait half way to the bottom depending on the depth of water.
    Thanks Doc, it seems when I am out there, I am scooping up fragments of balloons as they float by me but I didn't know if there was a fishing biodegradable balloon out there that one could use to avoid that. I have wondered about that and how many regular balloons are out there being used that cause that very issue...........I will go with the float thing instead of the balloon. On that link you sent me, there are a bunch of them on there..........would you recommend the round one like this one............. http://www.redirig.com/s300.aspx

Or this one? http://www.redirig.com/bogagripfloat.aspx
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,601 Admiral
    Nice mangroves for sure, but even the biggest is not unusually large. For shallower water yes, but they're all over the middle grounds at that size.

Some year back I caught a 28" mangrove in 65' out of CK. Had to be over 10 lbs, although never weighed it.

There's a pic on my FB homepage but I have no idea how to get it here.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,773 Captain
    Nice Mang'z! I'm sure they were tasted really awful!!! Ted> (Musky Guide} had biodegradable balloons last week when he took me out, said the man would write you up if he catches you using reg balloons! I never used balloons, just a big wood floats I got some where cause I read long ago the turtles think they are jellyfish and eat them. Made sense to me I mean who wants to hurt a turtle???
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    Best to use the Redi Rigs. The round one Is the one. Look at the web site and do exactly like the pictures. I use those for cobia. You can set your bait at the depth you want. I usually like to set my cobia baits about 3-5 ft above the bottom. I use a 1-2 oz weight above the swivel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    They also make big Cajun thunder style corks for just this sort of thing.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Gotta love it when the seas are that flat....very nice snapps
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    Thanks Ruff, I will order a couple then.....called and spoke with the fella that sells these and he was helpful.....that is what I was waiting on so I knew which ones to order. Thanks for the help and I will let you know how it goes next time I am out there. Exciting to try something new.