blackfish report

Tripletail fishing has been "off-the-hook" this summer. But, our last outing was special. Last week I got the boat for first time in more than a month, after replacing the trim motor and waiting out the rain period. We launched at 6:15, by 6:30, 1st light, we stopped to see if any tripletail were home. 1st cast, we both hooked up.
Jack had a nice legal tripletail and mine was a short cobia. Drifted away and released them both. Next cast we doubled up again, boating two 16 inchers for the cooler. Then, another tt/coabia double. We were on em good and pretty much every cast was a tt, or another coabia. I landed 3 cobia all between 24 and 30". One tripletail jumped several feet in the air, crazy! Our last double I had a really big blackfish on that was well over the 20' mark, maybe 24', and jack hooked up but I did not get my fish in net/boat quick enough and lost it. Jack's fish turned out to be a big cat, the only of the day. We left the tripletails bitting after 30 minutes with our limits. We must have caught 6 or 7 each,plus a few cobia. So we went for bigger cobia, maybe a tarpon or big spinner, nada. We tried to catch some ladyfish, nope, then some mangroves (small fish) only to get wrecked by big jacks in the 10-15 lb range on light tackle. Went back to tripletail fishing for some rod bending catch and release action. They were still chewing on the end of the incoming. We each caught 4 or 5 more, lost a few. Boat traffic was picking up and fish were going down and or moving on as tide slacked. We moved a few miles to look for tarpon, none, tried a couple spots for poons and no action, none in the pass. Tried for triple tails again around 11 on our way back to the ramp and no bites, but did have two follow a gulp. for some reason these guys did not wanna play. it was hot and storms were brewing so we wrapped it up.

I'm still waiting for my buddy to send pics of some of my fish...

and here's a few pics from a great summer of tripletail catching. I had a good time fishing with a few forum members shown here with tripletail catches when we could not not catch those darn tarpon!

All of our fishing was inshore. Ya do not need a big or fancy boat for these fish!

Replies

• stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 901 Officer
    Awesome
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer
    great job guys. Its been good for triple tail in our area this summer - Tarpon not so good:( I only had 1 hook up all summer up here. A few mid season days I saw zero fish - wth??
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,010 Officer
    great job guys. Its been good for triple tail in our area this summer - Tarpon not so good:( I only had 1 hook up all summer up here. A few mid season days I saw zero fish - wth??

The tarpon showed up along the beaches from Indian Rocks through Anclote Early May only to be pushed out by cold front...the were back thick mid May, hookups were only like 1-3 per day for us. A couple days we could not fish due to winds, and too rough. June was more productive, but the fish never showed in huge numbers post Colin. One day we saw fish everywhere, on a Sunday, but the bite was not on, again, one fish. I did not see any the other day when heading out the clearwater inlet. Have not been to the passes north of there since late June, which was when they were most productive, but slow at best. Only a few days did we get multiple fish and see others do the same. Frustrating year for sure. But, I am not done yet, some fish do move back through and/or reside there and Sept can be fun if you find them. The silver lining was improving my tripletail skills and many fine fish dinners this summer!
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer
    yeah - i decided to stay down south for june- july. I've shot out a few mornings lately but haven't found any,. Going to hit the bay next week
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Are you just running crab traps? That's impressive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RMD wrote: »
    Are you just running crab traps? That's impressive.

the older ones and really any vertical structure.
  • SnookOffSnookOff Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    awesome!! great pics..
  • BK922BK922 Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Good stuff
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,868 AG
    Good eats right there.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Countryboy_ucfCountryboy_ucf Posts: 37 Deckhand
    **** good Tripletail skills! What kind of baits did they eat and on what rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    **** good Tripletail skills! What kind of baits did they eat and on what rig?

What has been working real well is a 3' gulp shrimp on a 2/0 circle with a small splitshot 6" above hook, 25 lb seagur leader. Seem to get a little better hookup on on this setup. Sometimes on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig head, too if fish are holding deeper. Using plastics allows you to get that 2nd and 3rd bite, whereas a shrimp might be gone after the first strike. Of course live shrimp work, too, but get picked off many undesirables.
    Trick is finding the places that hold the fish. They like to eat.
  • Countryboy_ucfCountryboy_ucf Posts: 37 Deckhand
    permit_me wrote: »
    What has been working real well is a 3' gulp shrimp on a 2/0 circle with a small splitshot 6" above hook, 25 lb seagur leader. Seem to get a little better hookup on on this setup. Sometimes on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig head, too if fish are holding deeper. Using plastics allows you to get that 2nd and 3rd bite, whereas a shrimp might be gone after the first strike. Of course live shrimp work, too, but get picked off many undesirables.
    Trick is finding the places that hold the fish. They like to eat.

Thanks man! Will have to have some on board for this occasion. Got my first Tripletail just a couple weeks ago and they are as fun as they are tasty!