Yankeetown Fishing Report 8/20

Hey folks,
As I sit here drinking my coffee at 5 am waiting to launch to fisht the Tata Fishing Tourney I am exhausted from the previous week. One of my sons is down from Ga to Gator Hunt and fish for a week and as my daddy used to say "we was burning the candle at both ends"
Hunt gator starting at dark to about 2 am then get up to fish in the late morning hours (too old for that ****)

Anyway, the word that would describe the best fishing this week is "Night" if you can get out when the tide starts rushing in with this moon for about 2 hours hold on to your hat!

We fished about as hard as two gator hunters can fish for about 3 days in the heat of the day with not much luck just toooo **** hot. Then Thur night we got smart and fished a rip at midnight after we busted a nice eatin gator and Wow! The water was rippin in and first cast bang! over slot red, looked around and my son had a 25 incher in the net and it went on like this for about an hour. Then nothing, they must have moved in a little further, we went in also in search but nothing but cats.
We are fishing the Hooked up for Tatas tourney this morn so maybe I will be able to let you know how that went.
We did go offshore a bit mid week and had plenty of eating snapper and grunt with some small Groupies in the area of Marker 12, the bottom is littered with them if you just want to wind and dine :)
Good luck this weekend and if you do decide to fish at night, #1 be safe and #2 stay out of my spot! lol

Replies

• huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Good Stuff Keep afterem
    and good Luck in the Tata
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,515 Captain
    Very cool. Good luck in the tourney! :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    That's the best way to beat the heat.
    Good to see some quality fish.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Night fishing the full moons is a great way to catch em and stay cooler!
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 907 Officer
    I've been tempted to try it. It's just something about the drive back to ocala from the coast at 3am that's not appealing.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 918 Officer
    nice
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    Scalloping this wknd and gator hunting next wknd
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    I've been tempted to try it. It's just something about the drive back to ocala from the coast at 3am that's not appealing.

Agreed. I've also thought about finding a backcountry camping spot to stay overnight around these full moons so I don't have to drive home.
  • Flybynight1Flybynight1 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    a lot of people camp on the barrier islands