Snapper fishing 101

I have gotten quite a few PM's asking about the Snapper fishing in the Bay and figured I would to a little " how to " thread to save me from all the individual replies. About 3 years ago I was taught by one of the best in the bay, Todd Foucher. Since then I have used the tactics he showed me and just learned more and more each time I went out.

I know the most common question is " Where are you catching them. " While I am not going to go out giving gps coordinates but it is a simple 2 word answer: Shipping Channels. " It only makes sense that these fish will be here as Tampa Bay has miles upon miles of contour changes, ledges, and rockpiles along the edges of the shipping channels. When I 1st started I did not have a gps, only an old outdated bottom machine. I would just sig sag when the channel goes from 45 ft up to 20 foot and keep doing that until I would mark a show of fish then fish it.

Now you can not just go out at any point in the day and do this. When the tide is ripping is the absolute worst time you want to be out for a few reasons. The main one is because the gear you have to use to get them ( more on that in a bit ) will never make it to the bottom. The 2nd reason is that your chum will be 1000 years away before it ever hits the bottom. I prefer right in between moon phases to plan a trip as the tides will be slower and will have plenty of time to fish. I will still go on a full moon or new moon but sometimes you only have a 30 min to an hour window of fishing. So plan your trips for slow tide days and at the peak of the tides.

As far as bait plenty of people do well on shrimp. I personally do not like buying bait when I can go get it myself. I use whitebait and small pinfish. Right now is great because the flats are loaded with fry bait easily obtained with a 1/4" mesh cast net and a bit of Purina Tropical fish food. I have 2 livewells on my boat. On one I will pack it lightly with bait to ensure it stays alive. The 2nd well I slam it full with the intention of the bait dying. These will be what we use most for bait and our chum line.

Rigging is pretty straight forward. One thing you have to remember about Snapper is they have incredible eyesight. Most people that go snapper fishing and say they did not catch any are way over gunned. I fish for them 2 ways and both ways I am fishing the same rod and reels I am using inshore for reds and snook. The first rig is with a line to leader knot ( NO SWIVEL! ) 8' of 20lb flurocarbon, and a 1 - 2 oz weight set up on a knocker rig. The 2nd is a 10' 20lb flurocarbon leader tied right to the mainline with no weight at all. Both rigs I use a 1/O octopus circle.

Chumming is key. If you have larger whitebait cut them into thirds and put that in a bucket. With the smaller fry bait no cutting is required. The # 1 rule if you are snapper fishing on my boat is when you reach in the bucket to grab a bait toss a handful overboard. You want a constant chumline going. Now it can be as little as 3 peices at a time but you want to give the fish a reason to stick around.

Lets start with fishing the knocker rig. If you notice the tide still running a bit or on your machine you are marking the fish on the bottom this is the rig you want to use most of the time. Now you don't want it to hit the bottom and close your bail where your weight is still touching you hook. Once you feel it hit the bottom the tide should start carrying your bait away from your hook. So your bail is always open and you are constantly feeding line out. When you see line start stripping off close the bail with your hand and reel ( do not set the hook ). It's that simple.

When the tide slows and your chummers are going straight down ( or if the tide is still running but you see the fish behind the boat or marked fish on your bottom machine ) you want to freeline. Freelining is my favorite way to snapper fish and this is how I get my biggest ones. If you have ever been yellowtail fishing in the Keys it is the same tactic. A steady flow of chum and drift one down on your hook. You want to keep a good amount of slack in your line as you not not want your bait to act any different that the chummers. Same as above keep feeding line out until you see it start to strip off your reel, flip the bail, and reel.

Well this turned out a bit longer than I planned but that is the basics of Snapper fishing and hope this will get a few people pointed in the right direction. Now this is not limited to in the bay. We use these EXACT same rigs and tactics when we get the weather window to run 20 miles offshore in a 22' bay boat.

A few pics from past trips because what is a thread w/o some pics:

FB_IMG_1471475566218_zpsjhp4dqaq.jpg

FB_IMG_1471475589175_zps8sgao0zs.jpg

FB_IMG_1471475553049_zpsnehw8vyx.jpg
FB_IMG_1471475553049_zpsnehw8vyx.jpg

FB_IMG_1471475322922_zpsuxae9km4.jpg

FB_IMG_1471475301566_zpsitwm17pw.jpg

A couple offshore:

FB_IMG_1471475348699_zpsyk6ik8pp.jpg

FB_IMG_1471475406546_zpsrvnj9l5v.jpg

FB_IMG_1471475423786_zpskqwog0hb.jpg

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 567 Officer
    Thank you!!!! Very helpful thread for me, much appreciated!!!
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Officer
    Anytime. One thing I forgot about the knocker rig is make sure you have a rather bulky knot to prevent the sinker from sliding over it and sticking so your bait wont drift away from the weight when it hits to bottom. Also when dropping down keep tension on the line so the weight stays in contact with your hook. If you do not do that the bait will spin on the way down and can tangle up preventing the bait from drifting away.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Great post. I remember Todd saying to avoid the fast tides; I miss his posts. What happened to him? I sent him a PM once about absence and he just said he's been busy. I figured someone here pissed him off
    Slo Poke1 wrote: »
    Great post. I remember Todd saying to avoid the fast tides; I miss his posts. What happened to him? I sent him a PM once about absence and he just said he's been busy. I figured someone here pissed him off

He started his own business ( Roundabout Watercrafts ) and is all over the country doing boat shows and such.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,981 Moderator
    Great thread, thanks for that.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 510 Officer
    You're running really long leaders; are you fishing with braided main line?
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    Thanks much.
    You're running really long leaders; are you fishing with braided main line?

Correct
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Thanks for the Post
  • XpatBubbaXpatBubba Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Anytime. One thing I forgot about the knocker rig is make sure you have a rather bulky knot to prevent the sinker from sliding over it and sticking so your bait wont drift away from the weight when it hits to bottom. Also when dropping down keep tension on the line so the weight stays in contact with your hook. If you do not do that the bait will spin on the way down and can tangle up preventing the bait from drifting away.

So, like a clinch knot? What do you like to use? I assume we are talking Flouro to hook knot here.
    Good post
    XpatBubba wrote: »
    So, like a clinch knot? What do you like to use? I assume we are talking Flouro to hook knot here.
    Good post

I like a loop knot that is rather bulky. The problem with a clinch is when the weight butts up to the hook sometimes the weight will stick to the eye of the hook.
  • freakyfreaky Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Great post Tony,should help a lot of folks. Freaky
  • wojtek9321wojtek9321 Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Great post! Lots of detail and easy to understand. Nice to see the help being given.
    The Fleet
    1989 Chris Craft Seahawk 215
    2004 250HP Yamaha HPDI

2000 Polar 1886 Saltwater Skiff
    2000 90HP Yamaha 2S
  • Dalesimp21Dalesimp21 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Awesome post, can't wait to give it a shot, thanks so much! BTW, is that a Bulls Bay boat in the last two boat pics? Hatches and everything look the same as my 2000.
    The one with the fish on the deck is my buddies Ranger 22 Bahia.

The night shot where the fish are on the rear deck is my new boat. Bulls Bay 2200. I just got it 3 weeks ago.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,252 Admiral
    Thanks for posting. Great info.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    A case of beer for you if our paths cross my man. Thanks. As a lifetime fisherman but Tampa rookie I have discovered, and can corroborate 100% of this. Although the bay locations have eluded me. Having said that last time I went out it was 34 degrees in the morning this past winter...
  • fishnfool73fishnfool73 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I solved the problem of the weigh and knot by using a bead in between the two. Have you tried that ?
    I solved the problem of the weigh and knot by using a bead in between the two. Have you tried that ?

I try to stay away from any terminal tackle if I can
    The one with the fish on the deck is my buddies Ranger 22 Bahia.

The night shot where the fish are on the rear deck is my new boat. Bulls Bay 2200. I just got it 3 weeks ago.

Right on, thought they looked familiar. How are you liking it? I love my 2000, but wish it had the rod lockers like the 2200.
    Dalesimp21 wrote: »
    Right on, thought they looked familiar. How are you liking it? I love my 2000, but wish it had the rod lockers like the 2200.

I love everything about the boat. I have never had a boat with a T Top now I have one I never realized how nice it is. Also the Motorguide Pinpoint XI5 makes Snapper fishing so much easier with the spot lock anchoring.
    I love everything about the boat. I have never had a boat with a T Top now I have one I never realized how nice it is. Also the Motorguide Pinpoint XI5 makes Snapper fishing so much easier with the spot lock anchoring.

It really is a nice, no frills dry fishing boat. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it from buddies that have much more expensive rides. I ended up getting a bimini top due to the space that I store it not having the height to accommodate, though I've heard some good (and bad) things about folding t-tops. I got the iPilot trolling motor, and you're right, the spot lock feature is a game changer. Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, and thanks again for the snapper tips!
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 893 Officer
    Nice post Tony, thanks for taking the time to write it.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Awesome post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    :crowd
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!