Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Computer help?

Guys, my computer has gotten rediculously slow in the past year. I have Mcafee and it says I have no viruses or errors. What can I do to speed my computer back up to original? Its a dell inspiron 1525. Only about 4 years old I think. I have all my files backed up, can I just delete everything on the computer and start from scratch?

Thanks, troy

Replies

• madashellmadashell Posts: 816 Officer
    There is probably all kinds of programs running in background. Also, do you have the newest service packs? Just a couple thoughts.
    I will hit the lottery...I will hit the lottery :crossed
  • BucYouUp68BucYouUp68 Posts: 1,184 Officer
    Take it outside and Blow all the animals out of it
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

BucYouUp68................OUT

5831474064_7809a5b1b4_o.jpg
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    4 year old comp is old. How much RAM do you have running? When you say slow, do you mean the net or all programs?
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,104 Officer
    you can buy an external hard drive and boost your performance. 4 years is pretty old these days..
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    up the memory if needed and reinstall windows.

You probably have a reinstall cd that came with the computer or files on another partition for reinstalling the way it was when your purchased it.

It will delete everything then reinstall windows and other software that came with the computer at time of purchase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • F1D2F1D2 Posts: 331 Deckhand
    I would do simple things before blowing the OS away and reinstalling or shooting it.

Defragment your hard drive first, this will take some time if you have never done it....in fact....after 4 years you may want to go on vacation and come back.

Next download Ccleaner from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

You will see the Download Latest Version link on the upper right side. Once downloaded, install and during the installation....uncheck the Google Chrome box....then continue.

When you first run it, it will warn you about permanently removing files......check the box not to remind you of this and tell it OK because that is what you want it to do.

Then run Ccleaner again and this time select the Registry Icon on the upper left side. Select the Scan for Issues Icon on the bottom left.....once it finds all the problems it will ask you if you want to back the Registry up.....that's your option...I elect no because I know my system. After you let it scan, let it fix all the problems.

Reboot your PC and see how it does.
  • CaptainTCaptainT jacksonvillePosts: 138 Deckhand
    thanks for the suggestions. i will try those things and if not Im getting a MAC! i would think you could delete everything and re-install it and your computer would be like first purchased? I have no idea about computers though!

What is slow is everything! Internet and opening programs takes literally 30-45 seconds.
  • ReefRocketReefRocket Jacksonville BeachPosts: 987 Officer
    My inspiron 700 is about twice that old. Just clean it up. I use registry cleaner too.
    Bobby Riggins, 904-626-8407,
    REALTOR® AT EXIT REAL ESTATE GALLERY
    www.fl4sell.com
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,589 Captain
    Troy,
    You are getting a lot of bad advice in this thread. I will offer you a couple solutions besides the obvious "go buy a new one".

1. I do computer clean ups as side work. I've done quite a few for other people on the forums here and all have been very happy. It is VERY inexpensive compared to Best Buy, Compusa, etc. If you want to go that route or just ask some questions, call me 904-742-0492

2. I could also offer you a list of things to try here, but no guarantees without me being able to see it.

3. If you really want to get a Mac (it won't solve your problem, but it's an option) Kajo has a Mac that he was looking to get rid of that was decent. Send him a PM.

Let me know and I am sure we can figure out something.

JR
    You are getting a lot of bad advice in this thread

LOL!!!!
    I do computer clean ups as side work

LMAO!!!!!!
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

BucYouUp68 wrote: »
    LOL!!!!
    LMAO!!!!!!

I fail to see what's so funny. I offered him multiple solutions, including help over the phone or over the forums. I've proven myself here quite a few times. Why would you feel the need to interject a useless comment that doesn't help him in any way?
    Why would you feel the need to interject a useless comment

Because i Can, That's Why.

Just like you put in your post that he was getting bad advice. So I laugh at that Sir.

Carry on

BucYouUp68 wrote: »
    Because i Can, That's Why.

Just like you put in your post that he was getting bad advice. So I laugh at that Sir.

Carry on

ok, here goes then...

"Take it outside and Blow all the animals out of it " - cleaning dust out may help, but doubtful would it be relevant here because the Inspiron 1525 is a laptop. Rarely do they have performance issues due to dust.

"There is probably all kinds of programs running in background. Also, do you have the newest service packs? Just a couple thoughts. " - Probably true to the programs in the background. The service packs wouldn't account for much of the problem, though.

"you can buy an external hard drive and boost your performance. 4 years is pretty old these days.. " - An external hard drive is pointless unless his main hard drive is full, but even if it is, just plugging in a new external USB hard drive won't do anything. It's just more storage

"up the memory if needed and reinstall windows. You probably have a reinstall cd that came with the computer or files on another partition for reinstalling the way it was when your purchased it. It will delete everything then reinstall windows and other software that came with the computer at time of purchase. - Good advice, though it would result in loss of data that he may want to keep.

"Defragment hard drive" - No one asked what OS he is using, Vista and 7 both auto defrag in the background while the machine is idle.
    "Ccleaner" - The file cleanup is decent, the registry tweaks may be of benefit, but not always.

Is that what you wanted to see?

For what it's worth, my first suggestion would be to download Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org and try running that. It frequently catches things that virus protection (McAfee isn't great) misses. When it asks if you want to start your trial, click "no". I would run a quick scan right after downloading it, then boot into safemode (push f8 while booting until you see the option) and then run the full scan.
    Very Good, You are heading in the right direction in the Computer Repair Business.:thumbsup

smallboat.....

OK, I will try not to be mean about this.. Please excuse my spelling also..

My advice to reinstall the OS is the fastest and best way to get Windows up and running faster again. I have seen many mallware programs and registry programs make things worse. Sometimes better. Or, a quick fix that eventually goes back to a slow computer.

As long as the computer has enough memory to run the programs and OS, and there is enough hard drive space, then the hardware is fine. Windows has a way of screwing itself up over time. Downloading patches for windows sometimes improves things, but more often mess things up. Im not just picking on windows, sometimes a software upgrade isnt better then what you had, no matter what the software is. This is after over ten years of building, configuring and programing windows computers. I also did software reviews for many companies locally and on the net. No I do not know all, but I know enough to know that windows is the slowest OS out there.

Unix, Linux, Mac OSX....is more reliable, faster and safer then Windows. Not my opinion, just a fact.

I have many customers I used to build computers for now on macs. These are people from 25 years old to 70 year old women. Its been about 2 years and they still call me to tell me how much they love there macs. They used to call me to tell me windows is doing this and that. I would have to go over there and fix the problem. Allways software related. Unless they had there pc for so long it no longer met the requirements of the programs they where trying to run etc....

I personally have a 2006 macbook, and a 2009 iMac. I do not know much about the file system becouse I have never had a problem or needed to reinstall. Except for the macbook. I did upgrade from Mac Leopard to Lion. No defrags, no scandisk, no viruses. Only had to force quit safari once. Never had to reboot a mac becouse of freezes etc... and my old customers have the same experience.

So for you to say a mac wont fix it....is an opinion. Yes there is a learning curve with mac going from windows, but if a 70 year old lady can get used to it, I dont see the problem:)

I have seen it as a fact since 2006. Mac is better. More reliable, faster and for sure a better memory manager. This has allways been one of windows weak links...memory management.

Yes macs are more expensive.....but you get what you pay for. If you want viruses, slow downs, blue screens of death etc...save yourself a few hundred dollars and by a pc....and you dont have to upgrade the hardware as often as windows to keep up....

Yes I do know people who have had some problems with macs, there not perfect just like anything else mass produced.

This is my opinion and experience from years of computer experience.

3 years of graphics design, 2 years html, over ten years of building pc's and configuring. Also 6 years of networking and 5 years of software reviews and development. Still today at work I end up fixing the network problems. I just get tired of the IT guy keeping me off the net so I fix it:) I never went into the computer field as a full time job, becouse I just dont like that life....some geek in the basement.....plus I got soooo burnt out working on windows OS and its faults..

So take my advice as you want. But do not say I give bad advice about computers.

Just one mans opinion... but noticed I did not get on here and trash eveyones opinions that are trying to help this guy out..

Im sure there are many ways to help him out......

CaptainT if you want to, bring the pc over and I will run tests, virus programs, and see how that does...ohhh..Ill DEFRAG also:)

Then, if that doesnt work out to speed things out, I will reinstall your OS.....totally free of charge.. JUst to help a brotha out.
    F1D2 wrote: »

Nice

• F1D2F1D2 Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Thanks.....it took all day to come up with that response! I'm exhausted right now from it.
    Uh, I think you misconstrued my statement that getting a Mac wouldn't solve the problem. I meant that it wouldn't fix the Windows box. lol. I know many people that are on Macs and many that are on Windows. They are different platforms and there is definitely a place for both in the market.

I also didn't say that reloading Windows wouldn't fix the problem. It definitely will. I just made a point that he may lose data in the process if the correct backups are not done. My number one priority when I work on any computer is always data preservation!
    As a side note, it's no wonder people quit posting here. Hell, the people in OT are nicer and more willing to help. Kajo has his work cut out for him I suppose. I'm definitely done in this section and will stick to other areas.

Not much point when all the local fishing is being shut down anyway.
    smallboat wrote: »
    Uh, I think you misconstrued my statement that getting a Mac wouldn't solve the problem. I meant that it wouldn't fix the Windows box. lol. I know many people that are on Macs and many that are on Windows. They are different platforms and there is definitely a place for both in the market.

I also didn't say that reloading Windows wouldn't fix the problem. It definitely will. I just made a point that he may lose data in the process if the correct backups are not done. My number one priority when I work on any computer is always data preservation!

Well he stated he had everything backed up........
    you also quoted my advice in your bad advice reply......
    As a side note, it's no wonder people quit posting here. Hell, the people in OT are nicer and more willing to help. Kajo has his work cut out for him I suppose. I'm definitely done in this section and will stick to other areas.

Not much point when all the local fishing is being shut down anyway.

Most people have stopped posting here since the big crash....

We are very willing to help here, but when you question us, you better be able to back it up......not back track.
    Did you even read my comment to your quote?!

""up the memory if needed and reinstall windows. You probably have a reinstall cd that came with the computer or files on another partition for reinstalling the way it was when your purchased it. It will delete everything then reinstall windows and other software that came with the computer at time of purchase. - Good advice, though it would result in loss of data that he may want to keep."
    Did you even read my comment to your quote?!

""up the memory if needed and reinstall windows. You probably have a reinstall cd that came with the computer or files on another partition for reinstalling the way it was when your purchased it. It will delete everything then reinstall windows and other software that came with the computer at time of purchase. - Good advice, though it would result in loss of data that he may want to keep."

ok...I will apologize for not seeing that. But, I had allready told him it would erase everything, and he stated everything was backed up...

I just saw bad advice and I was quoted in there.....
    As a side note, it's no wonder people quit posting here

If you think it is bad here, try some of these. RUTHLESS i tell you.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.php

T
    his place is Pre School compared to those two forums......LOL

• Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    ****. ya ll just scrambled my brain. How bout this...... jack it up. take the wheels off. pull the hubs. clean the parts. and put it back together the right way..... I have defragged though and seem to remember smallboat helping some people out here. Just saying.......
    ****. ya ll just scrambled my brain. How bout this...... jack it up. take the wheels off. pull the hubs. clean the parts. and put it back together the right way..... I have defragged though and seem to remember smallboat helping some people out here. Just saying.......

LMAO!!!! Wade you crack me up!!!! :)
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    I am just saying that us locals need to get along. We are gonna need each other. I don t know squat about computers but I am an intellegent person that can sort through info to find what works for me. No one person is right. we all have intelligent opinions and have to wade through them. Sure. some are more right than others ( ME ) but I think collaborative thinking would be more productive than attacks. I say this not to any ONE poster but to all of us. I value ALL insight. it s up to me to figure out who is most right.