Hillsboro Inlet 9 August 2016

Launched around 430am and had difficulty making bait. Caught my first ever Mahogany Snapper while fishing for bait with a sabiki.

Settled for 5 runners and a speedo around 730am. The Current was manageably weaker for a change and the sunrise was awesome.

First bait out did not take long to get bit. It was the signature long ripping run of a kingfish. Unfortunately I was careless while clearing one of my other outfits, and when the fish made another run, the rod pulled out of my hands ! Shame on me for not using my Pro Yaker rod leashes !

After getting over the shock and disappointment of losing the outfit with a nice fish on the other end, I tied a stinger rig on my sabiki rod and put another bait out. Twenty minutes later, boom ! another kingfish and this time the outcome was favorable.

While dragging two live baits around, My vertical jig got stopped solid 10ft under the kayak. At first It felt like a shark, then the drag started screaming and the acrobatics began. The camera was not rolling so the jumps were missed. I had sharpened my jig hooks the night before hoping for a wahoo -- instead, the sharpened hook drove through a bill -- my first ever Sailfish while vertical jigging.

After the battle, Avoiding the illegal act of pulling the sailfish up on my lap for a photo was not enough to insure survival. (Skin contact and incidentally removing the fish's slime should be avoided to prevent a slow death from infections as is often witnessed with penned bait that had been handled).

The sailfish was exhausted, with lactic acid in the flesh causing a paralytic condition. Had I just let the fish go, the probability of it sinking down to a bottom grave was high. Sailfish are ram vent breathers. This means that they have to be moving to flush sufficient water past the gills in order to breath properly. To revive a sailfish after a battle, it is best to peddled along holding it by the bill until it's color comes back, and the fish feels strong enough to swim off on it's own. This can sometimes take 15 minutes or longer.

After the sailfish action, fishing slowed down. With the weak current I was able to visit some wrecks with the vertical jig for alot of winding exercise and a few hits,Including: Blackfin Tuna, Almaco Jack, and Bonito.

With my remaining bait, I managed to pick up a triggerfish and a Barracuda in the afternoon.

All fish were released except the Kingfish, 1 Blackfin and a Bonita.

Replies

• davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Awesome pics! Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Sailfish on the jig is really cool. Losing set up, not so much.
    I use paracord & carabiners. Keep enough slack in the paracord so that my rods are attached 100% of the time. Double hook ups and wild fish are no problem.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Good Job John, always getting plenty of action.
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Great Job as always John, another great array of catches. You're proof that putting in the effort and you will be rewarded..
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Great report. I need to let my shoulder heal up before I can head back to the deep.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • Landshark LarryLandshark Larry Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Nice Job:dog
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 552 Officer
    Great job John. Your the fish whisperer!!
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Great report... That's a lot of fishing there!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,795 Captain
    Great job John. Your the fish whisperer!!

LOL, Thanks Dave. Not much of a whisperer, just alot of time spent on the water.