Left Coast Catching 8.12.16

My son is just getting into fishing with artificials but this year has been tough sledding in Titusville where I normally wade fish due to the grass beds dying off/poor water quality from the algae bloom/excessive rain/runoff (I just can’t locate the fish consistently anymore especially considering my time /range on the water is limited). Since I didn’t want him to get discouraged – plus this was our last weekend before the grind of school begins again – I splurged and chartered Captain Jeremy Heimes of Day Away Charters in Tampa, FL for the day (as recommended by some folks over in the West Central Coast forum that I must remember to thank).

We were on the water in the Cockroach Bay Preserve near Ruskin, Fl before dawn. The conditions weren’t the best with the tide at almost dead high, the water dirty, and bait a plenty (hard to get them to eat artis when literally everywhere you looked were greenies and small pinfish). We started in the backwaters focusing around mangrove points and cuts between islands as well as schools of large black mullet. After a lot of short strikes on topwater plugs we did manage to hookup a couple of nice reds. We then worked all over the area – drifting across potholed flats or along shorelines under mangroves as the tide dropped – with steady action picking off smaller snook and some nice trout here and there using topwater plugs, suspending hard jerk baits, and jig/jerkbait combos (and the Capt said it was really a slow day because it wasn’t a particular strong tide that was also working against the wind so the fish weren’t concentrating in the deeper pockets and channel edges between the islands like they normally would be as it falls). Later in the day the Capt netted a bunch of greenies which we used chumming then pitching baits around deeper potholes/mangroves/channels steadily picking off snook and trout again. I must add we spotted more huge snook and reds then I could count. They just weren't biting what we were offering with all that bait around.

Captain Jeremy was very accommodating even moving up his normal schedule/bait catching routine so we could get out at first light and focus on topwater fishing. This area is absolutely beautiful and reminds me a lot of MIWR so for all you folks from Central Florida looking for an alternative to the Northern Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon area I highly recommend giving Captain Jeremy a call (813-714-9808). Local knowledge – especially if operating a boat due to the changing tides – is critical (we saw a group of tourist in a rented pontoon boat get stuck on a sandbar while we there). It is simply a different fishery. He is well worth it – didn’t mind teaching me about the area - where to focus/best tactics to use - while still letting me fish – but most of all for putting my son on his first west coast slam (redfish/snook/trout)!! I’ll definitely be booking him again this fall (when he says the bite is really on). My son’s smile below says it all!
There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,476 AG
    The smile says it all!....Nice work Dad.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 365 Officer
    Sounds like a fun day. I sure do miss flats fishing in Tampa Bay.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,476 AG
    Sounds like a fun day. I sure do miss flats fishing in Tampa Bay.

I'm surprised as bad as the conditions are here...you don't transfer.... Don't they have a franchise there?
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,420 Moderator
    Jeremy is one of the good guys
    :thumbsup
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Jeremy is one of the good guys
    :thumbsup

Agreed! I didn't want my post to sound like an advertisement but I've been on several charters in my life and have had "buyers remorse" more often than not (like geez should have saved my money and bought a new reel or something). Since this is not something in my budget on a regular basis - which I'm sure is similar for most - when I feel like the experience was a great value I wanted to let others know so guides like Capt Jeremy continue to be supported!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • Salt CrackerSalt Cracker Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I've splurged like that also to share the experience with my son as well. He still talks about those few trips years later. That's what makes it worth it. But when you can gain some knowledge in the process, bonus! :) Thanks for sharing and supporting a job well done.
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 365 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I'm surprised as bad as the conditions are here...you don't transfer.... Don't they have a franchise there?

The west coast is loaded with Freedom Boat Clubs. The fishing is great over there but I don't think I could deal with the amount of people and traffic again... Both on and off the water
  • RichieUFRichieUF Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I have fished a lot of tournaments with Jeremy over the past and still do. On the water, at the ramp, and at the captains meetings. He and his tournament partner Travis are top notch quality guys. They have the fish dialed in just about every area we fish all over Florida and into Louisiana. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a guided trip in the Tampa area.