Flats fishing at Stiltsville!

I'm posting this for a buddy who's not on the Forum but a few of you guys know my neighbor Tom.

A fishing trip with Capt. Carl Ball with AWOL Fishing Charters was won in a raffle so Saturday was the day! Tom and his 15 y/o son Thomas met Capt. Ball at the ramp at Crandon Marina. It was a half day trip on Capt Ball's Hell's Bay boat.

http://www.awolfishingguide.com/

They started near a bridge with no hits and were soon zipping down to Stiltsville. Thomas got hooked into a bonefish pretty quickly.

Thomasfighting9bonefish_zpswv40ghvk.jpg

I think that it went 9lbs!

Thomas9bonefish8-12-2016_zps5iploo6e.jpg

Dad jumped in with his own 8 pounder!

Tomwith8bonefish_zpsxb2m9tue.jpg

And after a long fight, Tom topped off the day with this gorgeous, 15 lb Permit!

Tomwithpermit_zps1unlxnc5.jpg

Tom and Thomas are both very good bottom fishermen and offshore guys so this was a pleasant treat for them!

Replies

• Marko2885Marko2885 Posts: 79 Deckhand
    Nice job
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 837 Officer
    that's a hell of a good day!
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    that's a hell of a good day!

That's what I said when I saw the photos that night! A half-day charter too!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,101 Captain
    Carl is first rate....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Have heard nothing but great things about him, glad your neighbor had an excellent day
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    yes great trip!! thanks for sharing
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Posts: 453 Deckhand
    Carl is a class act but he makes you work <g>. Serious about permit. And his HB Marquesa is a nice boat to fish.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    dpdash wrote: »
    Have heard nothing but great things about him, glad your neighbor had an excellent day

Tom's a regular on all my Dry Tortugas trips so if you ever come with us on one, you'll meet him.

Young Thomas can make it down to 70 feet now spearfishing! He ties his own flies, made a set of outriggers for their little boat, etc! He's quite the fisherman and we're going to get him down to the Dry Tortugas on a double, father/son trip with another buddy and his son......... and me of course!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,662 Captain
    i started reading the thread and thinking, Tom was outfished? Can't be. Never happens!!!

Nice report

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Nice photos and report, thanks.
  • Make It HappenMake It Happen Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Way to go on the grey ghost...
    Wet the hook,keep the line tight, bend the rod & stay connected fish on
  • IM CHUMMINGIM CHUMMING Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    :fishing
  • StealthStealth Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Very nice day & nice report!
  • jayseasjayseas Posts: 813 Officer
    Looks like a great day was had by both Father and Son. Those are some chunky Bonefish and the permits I'm sure gave him a run or 10 on light tackle. With I could put a half day like that together.