Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Is it legal for a convicted felon to hunt with an air rifle in florida

avidone1avidone1 Posts: 140 Deckhand
this was a debate some of us were having whilst "shooting" the breeze the other night.
Some thought it was illegal because an air rifle launches a projectile.
Others thought it was legal because air guns are not firearms and do not use an explosive charge.
So, we decided to settle it here from law enforcement sources.
Is it legal for a convicted felon to hunt small game with an air rifle in Florida?

Replies

• ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Although not a firearm, if the warning is displayed on the air rifle (can cause death serious bodily harm etc.), some court jurisdictions may recognize it as a weapon. So as long as it is not concealed and it is being used in a hunting environment, I think they would be ok. Some convicted felons have different restrictions put on them such as state designated career criminals, sex offenders/predators that are more closely scrutinized and have different restrictions regaurding possesing weapons. And if the subject is on probation there are a whole new set of possession rules that come into play. I think if I were in that position I would contact my local FWC or sheriffs office and get an official opinion from them based on my status. Simple question with alot of variables. Im sure one of the state LEO's will be along soon with their answer as they have probably dealt with this in the past
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    I asked a friend of mine that question he,s a sheriff in Palm Beach County he said its legal because the projectile dosn,t have an explosive pushing it out also (he said according to the law and he dosn,t understand this one) black powder gun falls under this reg. also
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,905 AG
    What did you do?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,343 Officer
    You can't vote either
  • avidone1avidone1 Posts: 140 Deckhand
    Easy boys....this was a late night "discussion" amongst old friends who solve the problems of the world on a routine basis
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,905 AG
    avidone1 wrote: »
    Easy boys....this was a late night "discussion" amongst old friends who solve the problems of the world on a routine basis

:huh Felons hunting with air rifles is a societal issue meriting extra curricular discourse in the dead of night and its continuation here on a fishing BBS requiring the attention of law enforcement?

Was there something fueling that conversation other than personal experience?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse