Comcast vs Direct TV?

Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
Up until now, because of where we live, we've been cut off from the rest of the world and our only options for TV have been between Direct TV and Dish Network. I have Direct TV.

Looks like as of the first part of the year, Comcast may be running the cables and setting up the infrastructure to finally offer high speed internet access and cable TV.

The Comcast high speed internet connection is a no brainer compared to what I'm doing now which is paying for one of my neighbors to maintain a tower and shoot me a crappy signal that goes out every five minutes.

My question is Comcast cable TV vs Direct TV?

Anyone had both that could give me some input on the pros and cons of each? Channels offered, DVR's, remotes, signal during storms, etc?
"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."

Replies

• RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    you don't get Brighthouse over there?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Everyone will tell you Direct doesn't go out during storms. It does. Everytime it's more than a sprinkle.
    Comcast sucks, but it's better than a blue Searching for Signal screen.
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    Everyone will tell you Direct doesn't go out during storms. It does. Everytime it's more than a sprinkle.

What he said.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    WIth and HD dish you can simply switch to standard def for 5 minutes while the high storm cell flies by. The old 19" dish would lose signal sometimes the bigger HD... nope.

WIth how much my comcast internet is out I don't have any interest in their TV service.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • td.td. Posts: 4,695 Captain
    TT, you going to have to put the wheels back on and move your house closer to the road? :lol

Comcast for as long as I can remember, very few issues.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    RRR wrote: »
    you don't get Brighthouse over there?

No Sir I do not. Everyone around us seems to have it and Comcast but all we have access to is Direct and Dish and no high speed internet.

Direct does go out but usually on during a pretty bad storm.
    CaptTater wrote: »
    WIth how much my comcast internet is out I don't have any interest in their TV service.

I wasn't wanting to hear that. Right now my neighbor has a huge tower and I have to get a signal shot from him to us, line of sight. Constantly going out. I was really hoping to finally have some reliability.
    td. wrote: »
    TT, you going to have to put the wheels back on and move your house closer to the road? :lol

We should be gettin lectricity soon too and a real bathroom to replace my outhouse, lol. Love my outhouse though. Smell is awesome.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    I wasn't wanting to hear that. Right now my neighbor has a huge tower and I have to get a signal shot from him to us, line of sight. Constantly going out. I was really hoping to finally have some reliability.
    SO you are stealing internet access?
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,121 AG
    Up until now, because of where we live, we've been cut off from the rest of the world and our only options for TV have been between Direct TV and Dish Network. I have Direct TV.

Looks like as of the first part of the year, Comcast may be running the cables and setting up the infrastructure to finally offer high speed internet access and cable TV.

The Comcast high speed internet connection is a no brainer compared to what I'm doing now which is paying for one of my neighbors to maintain a tower and shoot me a crappy signal that goes out every five minutes.

My question is Comcast cable TV vs Direct TV?

Anyone had both that could give me some input on the pros and cons of each? Channels offered, DVR's, remotes, signal during storms, etc?
    Gestapo 

No, I pay dearly for it. $75.00 a month for crappy unreliable service. Oh and I had to pay for the dish and some other crap to receive the signal as well.
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Everyone will tell you Direct doesn't go out during storms.

With yesterday storm in the Gables area I only had it out for 1min- no problems after that. If your signal is strong as in the plus 90+, you shouldn't have any problems with it going out.
    Thanks Matt, tater is a little slow
    I can't tell if he is paying for his own comcast and his neighbor is just sending the signal (legal) or if he's paying his neighbor for access to his comcast account. ;)
    A little quick on the stealing trigger there, CaptBackPedaller....
    td. wrote: »
    A little quick on the stealing trigger there, CaptBackPedaller....
    liar. I'm not backpeddaling on anything. I asked if he was stealing internet. We need a "Liar form" prefilled out for you and GT Fish.
    :backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling:backpeddling
    stoplying.jpg
    will not click on that.
    Click, backpedaller...
    will not click on that.
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 936 Officer
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    I always tell people to ask their neighbors before deciding but you don't have that option really. I've had Adelphia (now Comcast), DirecTV, and Dish. Adelphia cable was horrible. Terrible service which was out almost every week and terrible support. DirecTV was great. I think the longest it was ever out was 20 minutes during the worst storms. We switched to Dish for the HD service and the signal worked just as good as DirectTV. I did have a few issues in one room and was not happy with their support.

A few months ago we got rid of Dish because it was too expensive for as little as we watch TV. We now get all of our TV online via Hulu and the channel's websites.

Oh yeah - my satellite dishes made it through hurricanes no problem. We were watching TV via generator right after the storms were gone.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • big_tbig_t Posts: 589 Officer
    Rare wrote: »
    With yesterday storm in the Gables area I only had it out for 1min- no problems after that. If your signal is strong as in the plus 90+, you shouldn't have any problems with it going out.

same for me in pembroke pines. i have att ifitl (fiber to the curb) internet service and direct tv. my internet is supposed to be 1.5m. seldom is but it is steady. i hope to never give comcast another nickle, but i would be forced to for the internet if the slow dsl wasnt available from att.
    comcast is the devil.