Cape Horn Offshore 17 with a Suzuki DF140A

fishawkfishawk Posts: 257 Deckhand
I am FINALLY repowering my 2004 Cape Horn 17 from a Johnson 90, to a new Suzuki DF140A.

I usually fish by myself, 250 lbs., and fuel tank with 30 gals. of fuel on board.

Other gear total weight will be about 200 lbs...batteries, anchor, fishing gear, etc.

The hull weight is 1700 lbs.

My question .....what would be the proper propeller pitch for the 3 blade Suzuki 14" diameter stainless prop.

Looking for help from Cape Horn owners please, or others who have rigged this boat and motor.

Thanks folks.
A jerk on one end of the line waiting on a jerk on the other end of the line.

Replies

• natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Well.....I do not have the answer but would start with a search on the interweb re: your exact boat and power aprox. Then get a loaner prop to try out. Oh and first break in the the new ponies. With what ever prop you can get your hands on. try to become best buds with a prop dealer and keep trying tiffernt props of various diam/pitch untill you get to the sweet spot. Loaner prop's. Can always have it reworked to dial in. Have a thead hear somewhere on my quest and results.

Best of luck and by the way I most likly will be a Zuk fan in the near future,

Ed
  • Vtec2gsrVtec2gsr Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Just wondering if you repowered your boat yet? I just repowered my 2002 cape horn 17 with the Suzuki 140a August 20th. The current pitch is 22, but it appears to be too much (WOT 5400 at 40mph). The dealer said they got the rpms at 6k before I picked it up; so I will be bringing it back to them this coming week. I have about 7 hrs on it now. I would like to know how your motor idles. Mine shakes worse than the 2 stroke it replaced at idle (the boat vibrates /t-top /console /etc), it acts like it has an occasional miss also (light sneeze), and has a loud hull resonance /drone at 3000-3200, however the motor is very quiet. Still feeling it out, and just wondering what others have experienced.
    Just posting if someone is curious. They changed the prop to 20 pitch, and now the motors at 5900rpms at WOT running 40-41 gps mph. 2002 Cape Horn 17cc ( First year the hull design changed ), t-top w/ electronics box, dual batteries, 1/2 tank of fuel, two persons (400 lbs). They told me, some motors of the same year and HP shake more than others ( manufacturing varances ). The missing I feel could be a part of the lean burn system, and the ecm compensation for all of the sensor inputs. The hull resonance dronning is different boat to boat and motor to motor; so it looks like this is a normal characteristic of my setup. I also experienced a hesistation while accelerating steadly around 3k rpms. The tech said I shouldn't notice a hesisation, but then again that it could be a part of the ecm compensating for its inputs. He did verify the symptoms I described, and said that after more hours on the motor they may alleviate.
  • fishawkfishawk Posts: 257 Deckhand
    I am finally ready to buy.

Will be having it installed after the Thanksgiving holidays.

My setup will be different from yours.

I'm also installing a 25" shaft length with a 4" set back manual jack plate.

I want to run the motor up higher to help keep the salt out.

Plus using the jack plate/set back I will be able to get more of the lower unit out of the water and hopefully better performance.

I'm not sure I want the 14" X 20" Power Tech/Suzuki prop.

I'm not yet convinced it is a good performance prop but have more research to do between now and the install.
    I have about 22 hour on mine now

I thought about installing a jack plate also, but i primarly use mine 7 to 37miles out. So I decided not to install one. My boat seems a little stern heavy, and I wanted to keep the weight down in the rear and close to the transom.

Do you have trim tabs on yours?

I installed a C10 color gauge, and the rpm readings from the ECM are at 6400, lightly loaded; running 42mph gps, and 45mph speedo with the Zuke 14" x 20"

This combination currently lightly loaded, will rocket this boat out of the hole and on plane in a few seconds. I would actually compare the accelleration close to the 125 2 stroke I had it on previously. Top end is 5mph faster. fuel consumption is more that 50% better

Going to fully load it and check my results again. I may have to change the pitch again.

The guys at the Dealer told me the mercury props work great with the Zukes, and create less noise, etc...

I would like to hear about your results and opinions when you get them
    Still waiting on the dealer to get the engine.

Have made my propeller choice.

I ordered a Turbo 1, 13.25" diameter X 22" pitch specially made for the Suzuki 4.25" gearcase.

If the rpms go too high, I'll have the prop worked a bit.

I'm looking for the high forties WOT.
    Mine has no trim tabs or T-top.

I do not like the giant windshield on my CH.

That thing is HUGE, and hurts the aerodynamics.

I plan to take it off and replace it with a lower profile windshield in the near future.

I'll post some numbers as soon as I can get the install done.
  • wrightacklewrightackle Posts: 89 Deckhand
    My fishing buddy has the exact same rig. A 2002 Cape Horn 17. He is on his second df140. The first one was on the hull for 13 years and over 4000 hours. The boat has never been a speed demon. Best he has ever seen is 44 mph. The new motor is going on two years now and is actually slower. The first generation of df140's were notoriously weak. We thought the new motor would be quicker. He has added a lot of weight to the boat with a t top and an I-pilot. Not sure about his prop dimensions. Will be following this thread to see how your numbers go.
    Thanks Guys, It's been difficult to find alot of stat on the CH17.

fishawk - I may want to purchase your old windshield depending on its condition. I'm sure it hasn't change from 2002-2004. Mine is getting a little weathered and has some cracks.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 297 Deckhand
    I owned a '99 CH17 and with the Honda 90 four stroke, it would top out around 35, and when it was trimmed all the way down it would vibrate. I always just bumped the trim up one or two clicks and it stopped.

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

I owned a '99 CH17 and with the Honda 90 four stroke, it would top out around 35, and when it was trimmed all the way down it would vibrate. I always just bumped the trim up one or two clicks and it stopped.

I have experienced that before.

This was different. It was vibrating no matter where the trim was positioned. I found the outboard mounting bolts were loose.
    Just got my rig home late this afternoon.

Starting the break in tomorrow morning.

Waiting to get a 15 spline hub pressed in the Turbo prop.

Their ad was wrong.

They were saying it was a 15 spline but turned out to be a 13 spline.

Dealer put on a standard aluminum, 14 X 19, wheel.
    fishawk wrote: »
    Just got my rig home late this afternoon.

Starting the break in tomorrow morning.

Waiting to get a 15 spline hub pressed in the Turbo prop.

Their ad was wrong.

They were saying it was a 15 spline but turned out to be a 13 spline.

Dealer put on a standard aluminum, 13 X 19, wheel.

Congratulations! It should not have any issues with lugging during break-in.

Here's a pic of the break-in procedure from the services manual. It has a throttle recommendation that the owners manual does not state.

Still waiting to run my boat loaded, weather and time have prevented me.
    I am FINALLY repowering my 2004 Cape Horn 17 from a Johnson 90, to a new Suzuki DF140A.

Out of curiousity, how did your 90 perform on the 17?
    Vtec2gsr wrote: »

Out of curiousity, how did your 90 perform on the 17?

It was a dog.
    About 38 mph WOT, light load.

That's with a 13.25" X 15" Stiletto Advantage2, custom-worked, SS prop.

With the aluminum prop, the top speed was only 32 mph.
    Finally got enough run time breaking it in to see what the WOT rpms were.

2004 Cape Horn Offshore 17 w/ 22" transom, 2017 Suzuki DF140A w/ 25" shaft, Vance 4" setback jackplate.
    Engine raised with jackplate to max height @ 4 inches.
    Motor in second hole from the top.

Excessive rpms(6600) with standard aluminum prop(14 X19), self, 20 gals fuel, and 100 lbs of gear.

My propeller guy at Hall's Propeller in Christmas, Fl. has been unavailable the past week to rehub the Turbo propeller to a 15 spline.
    When I get the Turbo propeller installed, i'll post the WOT speed and rpms.

Boat seemed to be moving good even with the piece of crap aluminum propeller.

Love the 25" length.
    Has the motor standing up high.
    {Boat seemed to be moving good even with the piece of crap aluminum propeller.}

Your description made me laugh, lol.

Did the Zuke hit the rev limiter?

Mine has gone as high as 6420 rpms, but it did not hit the rev limiter.

I would like to see a picture of your set up.
    New prop is installed. Hope to get some numbers in the am.
    New prop is installed
    Should have numbers tomorrow.
    Pulling 6200 rpms @ WOT., 2700 lbs. total combined weight.
    13.25" X 22" Turbo1 SS 3 blade prop, custom worked by Mike @ Hall's Propeller

New Garmin GPS and still learning how to use it.
    Didn't see speed visible while doing trial run.
    Will post GPS speed asap.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,095 Officer
    subscribed
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,351 Moderator
    If she's' seeing 6200 with a 22 pitch, you should be seeing some good numbers.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
    Thanks for the updates!
    Hey Fishawk, just curious if you have run your boat anymore.
    Currently I don't have the speed numbers.
    The new GPS, unlike my old Garmin, doesn't provide speed data.

Motor is raised as high as it will go with the 4" manual jackplate.
    I have around 100 hours on the engine and it is running stronger than before now that it has some hours of break-in.

I am turning the 13.25" diameter x 22" pitch Turbo 1 prop @ 6400 rpms WOT.
    I'll be ordering a new 13.25" X 23 " pitch Turbo 1 next month.

Should pick up another 2-3 mph at WOT with the higher pitched prop.

I cut the big windshield down to reduce wind resistance and I like the wind in my face when I'm running cause it's hotter than the fiery pits of hell during the summer in Central Florida.
    It's half the height it was but I left enough windshield to prevent spray from getting on the dash mounted electronics.

The boat is rather nimble at WOT.
    Trimmed and running WOT ....the steering is ultra responsive to small corrections as the majority of the hull is out of the water.

I am satisfied with the performance.
    It doesn't porpoise and scoots right along.
    The fuel economy is fantastic although I don't have the means to monitor it.

I built up the notched transom as the 22" transom was not enough to suit me.
    Really cheap fix with marine sealant and 1/2" King Starboard cut to fit and brought the transom up to 25".
    No more water in the splash well after this.

I removed the SS bow rail. Didn't like it.
    Thanks for the update Fishawk. Sounds like your enjoying your boat, and have customized it to your liking.

I still only have 24 hours on mine. Hoping to change that this week!!!! I moved mine two more pegs up, and the anti-cavitation plate appears to still be below the water. I may have to go your route and install a jack plate.
    Before
    CAPE%20HORN%20RUNNING_zpspja5tlx9.jpg

After
    [URL="[URL=http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/RobbieDaniels/media/P1010103_zpswljne5pu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l611/RobbieDaniels/P1010103_zpswljne5pu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]P1010103_zpswljne5pu.jpg

2004 Cape Horn 17 OS with the Zuke 140

Boat a year ago with the 2004 Johnson 90 two stroke. Back then it had very uncomfortable pedestal seating, a bigger windshield, and a bow rail, and no logo.

Yesterday, I was returning from fishing and noticed that the throttle control arm hits the console at wide open throttle. Yet it's still turning the 22 pitch Turbo propeller 6400rpms with 1/2 tank fuel and gear.

The nitwits who installed my engine should have put in a thicker piece of starboard under the throttle control box. They only used 1/4" thickness.
    I need to install a 3/4" thick piece which will allow me to fully open the throttle.
    How many rpms might I pick up?
    Stay tuned.
    Working on that fix.

Brought these home with me yesterday, the day the boat photo was taken.
    Ponce Inlet

[URL="[URL=http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/RobbieDaniels/media/P1010105_zps9ezbdafj.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l611/RobbieDaniels/P1010105_zps9ezbdafj.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]P1010105_zps9ezbdafj.jpg
    Installed Bennett Bolt trim tabs, 12" X 9". Boat would slam/pound in a two foot head sea before the tabs were installed. The ride quality is much improved with the tabs.