SLI 8-1 slow day, worked hard, got dinner

Went out the inlet around 6:30 and straight to bull shark to load the well slowly but surely.Spent an hour on really inconsistent schools but we eventually got what we needed. Heard some reports of sails in shallow so we started at the evans crary and got a few bonita before landing a decent sized king. I don't know if its just me or if the porpoise are getting more brazen and ballsy every time I'm out. We lost a bunch of baits to those bastards and even a few hooked mystery fish. I don't ever remember them being so bothersome in years past but it seems this summer they are all over everything inside 100' ft. It seemed that theres was a pretty decent bite around the e.c. and ernst wrecks but eventually we couldn't keep a bait away from those **** dolphins so off we went.

Got to the super secret wreck in 120' and set up to make a drift. 5 minutes in and we are hooked up to a decent gaffer phin. She has some buddies with her so I pitch a bait and don't you know the smallest one eats! :banghead
There were a lot of nice fish (including a 25 lb+ bull) hanging around the boat for another 3-5 minutes but they were the smart ones and wouldn't eat. threw them chunks, live baits and jigs but none of the big ones would join us for dinner. Made another drift only to get a 8 ft hammerhead wich was a first on the boat but not very interesting.

Decided to try on 6 mile but the current was ripping making it difficult to keep a bait down. Only found a few short bass a 1 lonely vermillion with surprisingly no bites on the flat lined live baits in about an hour and a half. Called it at 1:00 thankful to have 2 mahi and a smoker in the box. We worked for all we had and were happy to have it. As the photos show I let my buddy reel in the big ones!

Starting my OUPV 6 pack license class on monday so hopefully soon enough you'll all be able to call me "capt". Wish me luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 769 Officer
    Good job sticking with it, turned out to be an okay day. Good luck on your six pack, I hear the navigation is the hardest section. I'm considering doing the same thing.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,348 Admiral
    Nice day, keep a speargun onboard for those that have lockjaw
  • OldSaltOldSalt Posts: 129 Officer
    You were amply rewarded for your diligence!
  • lunkermanlunkerman Posts: 146 Deckhand
    dpdash wrote: »
    Nice day, keep a speargun onboard for those that have lockjaw

Sounds like a plan. That big s.o.b was so close but so far away. gotta get me a gun so I can reach out and touch em.:machinegun
    Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,383 Captain
    Nice going Joe.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM