Bears in Brevard County - First Time on Camera on our Property

MackokidMackokid Posts: 910 Officer
First time on camera on our property :banghead. I've been on the property since 2006 and the owners have been here since the early 90's. The owners claimed to have never seen them before on their property. First I've heard of them in this area as well. :huh

Came by on 7/22 at 2:45 AM. Looks about the same size as the one I got last year in Ocala, roughly 200 lbs I reckon. Anyone seen any in Brevard before? I talked with an ol' timer down the road and he claimed to have not seen them around since the 70's.

I hope he/she doesn't decide to come back.....
"History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada

Replies

• MackokidMackokid Posts: 910 Officer
    The date and times on the first 3 are from a camera that does not have the date or time set correctly (owners camera). The last three are set correctly (my camera).
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,914 Admiral
    Welcome to our world.

Their presence, and hogs too ( Though hogs in small numbers are a bonus when it's time to EAT!!!! ) are a good reason to focus on general habitat improvement rather than "feeders" ( bait ). And habitat improvement benefits all the other wildlife out there........the watching of which while you are hunting will/should enrich the experience.
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 282 Deckhand
    North Brevard? It was only a matter of time before they started coming back. Seems like every other time I drive down 19 through the ONF I see one.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain
    For a number of years my small consulting firm managed the timber on a large ranch east of Kenansville in Brevard County. There were no bears there at that time, back in the 90's and early 2000's. Over-run with feral hogs, but no bears.
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Isn't this a good thing?
  • Centropomus spp.Centropomus spp. Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Brevard is a very extended county....could you be a little more specific as to your location?
  • MackokidMackokid Posts: 910 Officer
    North Brevard, near Mims.
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,520 Captain
    be prepared to hang your feeders or they will destroy them all.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • Centropomus spp.Centropomus spp. Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Keep them up there! Away from the south end! Good luck!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,867 Captain
    Sorry, Centro, but they'll be there shortly if they're not there already! What you're seeing is one of the basic Laws of wildlife biology taking place: "A species will expand to fill the habitat available to it"! That 5,000+ acres where I managed the timber ENE of Kenansville was about as perfect black bear habitat as you will find!
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 774 Officer
    I see in the background of the 1st couple pics that the 1st feeder has hit the ground lol I'd bet my money that this would not be the last that you see of him
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • TlpTlp Posts: 42 Deckhand
    With corn they will come!
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 167 Deckhand
    Too bad the Commission decided there are not enough bear to hunt.......despite the science that says there is.

That bear is a young one, wait till his momma shows up.....she will tear open that plastic feeder, steal your camara, destroy your blinds, and drag off your chairs.....I know from experience, been dealing with these beasts for 8 years!
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,127 Captain
    Like said before do food plots get rid of the feeders .
    living life as i like
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 379 Deckhand
    I posted a couple years ago on seeing a dead
    bear and live bear just pass the St Johns
    On the beach line.
    So yep they are here or close by.
    FYI.
    Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,103 Officer
    I'm hunting in a swamp yesterday Okaloosa wma i hear splashing coming right to me and a small 150 # chocolate colored bear runs right under my stand , 1 minute later hear comes more splashing same direction . I'm thinking here comes a deer , nope a bigger bear hot on the tracks of the smaller one . He is 10 yards from me and bust me trying to get my phone out . Guess he was going to put a whop *** on the little guy. Pretty cool to see .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can't hear it your not listening.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,035 Captain
    Mackokid- well,Bear presence might result in the recognition of the futility of a typical tripod feeder. A good lesson.

What are the future development prospects of this hunt land?? County/Regional Future Land Use Map?
    Presence of Bear might become a welcome thing if ever you have to/care to lobby for continued undeveloped area.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,914 Admiral
    FloridaOD wrote: »
    Mackokid- well,Bear presence might result in the recognition of the futility of a typical tripod feeder. A good lesson.

What are the future development prospects of this hunt land?? County/Regional Future Land Use Map?
    Presence of Bear might become a welcome thing if ever you have to/care to lobby for continued undeveloped area.

That last sentence is something we who love the outdoors should always keep in mind.......in a general sort of way. Got to remember that if done right the union between the environmentalist and the hunters is powerful.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,833 Moderator
    not sure about the 200# estimate.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 474 Deckhand
    There are historical accounts of bears all over Central Florida, including the coast, so it's reasonable that they will be there. I've read journal entries regarding bears on the beach eating sea turtle eggs. Can you imagine the fallout if that happened today?
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,127 Captain
    bswiv wrote: »
    That last sentence is something we who love the outdoors should always keep in mind.......in a general sort of way. Got to remember that if done right the union between the environmentalist and the hunters is powerful.

Bear will not save your land maybe a cougar but but not a bear . DESERET RANCH will be built across .
    living life as i like