Florida Keys man dies while diving for lobsters

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office reports in a news release that 60-year-old William Simko was diving in about 10 feet of water off Cudjoe Key Wednesday morning when he became distressed.

Replies

• SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    That sucks. Be careful folks and watch the ones your with.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Swimming/Snorkeling/Diving is sorta like Shoveling Snow... Ain't for the unprepared &/or out of shape... Lots of Heart Attacks coincide w/those 1st Snows of the Season up North... Wonder if that's what happened...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,768 Captain
    Swimming/Snorkeling/Diving is sorta like Shoveling Snow... Ain't for the unprepared &/or out of shape... Lots of Heart Attacks coincide w/those 1st Snows of the Season up North... Wonder if that's what happened...

Probably a heart issue. Almost every year a heart attack takes a diver or two during the Mini.:angel

As my family ages, I worry, but can't dwell on the "what if's". Me & my brothers range in age from 61-69 YO, so that puts us in the cross hairs. We are usually in pretty good shape (for old guys)
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,371 Captain
    If I'm going to go, I would rather be lobstering than shoveling snow.
  • Fish TailsFish Tails Posts: 164 Deckhand
    A Navy helicopter crew heard the distress signal. Those who observed the rescue we're very impressed. They arrived very quickly. Dropped a cage and were gone almost as quickly. A very fine showing from our US military. God bless to the family.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,027 Captain
    We watched that copter go right over us, was wondering what they were up to. So sad for the family.
  • that_guythat_guy Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    We watched that copter go right over us, was wondering what they were up to. So sad for the family.

yep, we saw the basket dropping down to get him. Later heard on the news that it was heart failure. We kinda figured that's what happened.
  • Man, no one want to go now, but if I have to, hope its fishing or diving! (maybe not diving since we do commercial diving)
  • FAFA BOOEYFAFA BOOEY Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    LOL !! Good one !!!