Fly Fishing Help

DavejDavej Posts: 22 Greenhorn
Just got back from a week long Fly Fishing Trip with my son in Alaska. Never Fly Fished before then, but picked up on it pretty quick, and now I'm hooked. I need some advice on buying a set up to fish for Snook, Trout, and Redfish down here. Price is not an issue, but I dont want to break the bank on my first set up either. Any advice on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I'll be fishing from a flats boat 99% of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Davej

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 188 Deckhand
    DJ: You've asked the "How high is up?" question for Salt Fly...8wt kind like a 20 gauge. New rod that you would keep as you age into flyfishing and since you have or have access to a skiff...I assume you are a fisherman who has now decided to take up salt fly and you're not likely to quit fishing if you don't like fly salt...if you like to fish...you will get addicted to salt fly. New Rod: 8wt St Croix Legend Elite Saltwater $498.00 USA; 8wt Loomis GLX CC $690.00 USA; Sage Motive $450.00 USA my first choice would be 8wt Sage One on closeout 500-625. Used Reel: Abel 3N or Super 8 or Super 9 with spool diameters relevant for faster take-up 3.74, 3.9, and 4.25 respectively; since you're on the boat 99% and not likely to wash an open backed cork drag reel in sandy, salt water like ODC does the Abel Supers with an open back would work for you. I fish Abels and Sage blanks...
  • dwd5813dwd5813 Posts: 45 Deckhand
    An 8 weight is pretty widely considered for those species. Redington and tfo are two companies that make good quality budget friendly rods. On the higher end there's sage, loomis, scott, and others. Best advice out there is go cast as many as you can. Try out mid priced rods, low priced rods, high priced rods. Cast everything! Haha. You'll get a feel for whether the extra cost is worth it to you.

Reels can be had as part of a package in some cases, like the redington voyant combo that was my first 8 weight rig, and they will get the job done. Stepping up a little is the galvan torque t-8. In my opinion its an excellent choice for a high quality reel at a decent price. Then you could get into nautilus, tibor, abel, and others which will cost $$$. Check it out, talk to the shop guys while you're there casting every rod on the shelf (haha) and again decide what's right for you.
  • tunatakertunataker Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    For the reel I would consider the Lamson-Waterworks Guru. It is a great lightweight reel with a sealed drag. Their Litespeed reel is another winner. Get the larger 4 model because soon you will want to chase bigger fish offshore.
    DJ forgot to add try rods with same line...some 8s are more equal than others ie heavier than AFTA specs...some have shorter heads with more/all weight in the first 30 feet...I prefer head length 25 to 30 feet as I fish off guided skiffs and cast 40 to 60 feet of flyline sight fishing only... so my experience is limited to that and not long distance blind or sight beach or wade
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Davej wrote: »
    Just got back from a week long Fly Fishing Trip with my son in Alaska. Never Fly Fished before then, but picked up on it pretty quick, and now I'm hooked. I need some advice on buying a set up to fish for Snook, Trout, and Redfish down here. Price is not an issue, but I dont want to break the bank on my first set up either. Any advice on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I'll be fishing from a flats boat 99% of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Davej

Dave,

Your question has been asked over a million times and can't be answered for you, You must try several set-ups and then buy the one that feels good to you and you can cast comfortably, On the reel end of things, I would only buy a "cork" drag reel for the saltwater, perhaps after you discover what rod and reel you like, try ebay for the same outfit half price, that way you will never lose a penny on your investment, and also if after A while you discover you want to up-grade further, you can sell the same outfit for what you paid for it or maybe even a small profit....Buy smart, not by impulse. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Agree, great reels for the money, the drag worked flawless on a 10+ bone fish. I have three of them.
    tunataker wrote: »
    For the reel I would consider the Lamson-Waterworks Guru. It is a great lightweight reel with a sealed drag. Their Litespeed reel is another winner. Get the larger 4 model because soon you will want to chase bigger fish offshore.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I assume you'll be fishing on the west coast most of the time. The species you mentioned in that area, means mostly blind casting around mangroves and docks.....perhaps off the beach in Summer. This means more casts in a day and fatigue might become an issue, especially since you are relatively new to the game. I therefore recommend a slightly slower rod and forget the high end Sages and Loomis' for now. You'll be buying more rods anyway, since by your own admission, you're already hooked on the sport. Suggest you try the aforementioned St Croix, as well as the TFO rods. I believe the Mangroves are held to be a bit slower than the TiCr-X series. But cast them all, to see which fits your style. IMO, even though these rods may be slower than a Sage or Loomis, they are still fast enough for bonefish and permit in the Keys, should a road trip be in the works. Plenty of both species, plus baby tarpon have been caught on all these rods.

As for reels, I am an Abel fan, but that's just me. All the reels mentioned will serve you well. I have 3 of the 3N reels, but mine are all the old Big Game series, with solid spools....they facilitate my particular way of adding additional pressure to a running fish.

Have fun......wish I could be traveling around casting fly rods all day, like you're about to be doing!!!
    .......Rick
    DJ: In response to PR's slower rod comment/recommendation, for a starter you can "slow/down" the fast Sage and Loomis by up-lining or try one of the RIO outbound tropical floater...they use a 30 foot head up-lined by 2 or 2.5 with a thin attached floating running line or try simply a 9wt line on an 8 wt rod. For example, my suggesting the Sage One was ... it has a softer/slower tip when compared to a Method and on my 9wt One I use two lines 8wt Wulff Shorts and 9wt Triangle Taper. On my 10 wt Method I use two Wulff lines 10wt Shorts and 11 wt Shorts. However, I am a weak/short stroke, elbow low, caster with bad shoulders that is I don't can't carry 70 to 80 feet of flyline and shoot another 10 for long casts. You can determine grain weight of the first thirty feet of RIO, SA, Wulff on their respective sites. But as CB and others have said try different 8wt rods but make sure you use the identical brand and model of 8wt line for the try and then up-line one... again identicals. If you can, take the test 8wt rod and try a 8wt line with typical 38 to 40 head and within AFTA specs for 8wt. Then try same rod with RIO Outbound 8wt line in which the 30 foot head is 2 to 2.5 times heavier than the previous line's first 30 feet.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Also fly rods are very delicate and can be broken easily so keep in mind what the warranty is by different companies. TFO and Redington are pretty much no fault and cheap replacement costs.
  • DavejDavej Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the great feedback and information. I clearly have a lot to learn. I 'm planning on visiting a few "fly shops" this week in my area, and having this information will help. Thanks again !

Davej
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    I use an 8wt for those fish with a wf 9 line.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Welcome to the addiction. Be prepared to see dust gather on your spinning gear.

Starter 8wt that won't break the bank (relatively speaking) and which you won't outgrow?

Take a look at a Redington Predator with a Lamson Speedster hung on it.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • DavejDavej Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Bought a Sage 8wt Rod, and reel to match. Got some help from the guys a Tampa Fishing Outfitters. Rigged and ready to go. Now I gotta focus on my casting. With my luck, I'll catch a big fish the first time out, and wont know what to do. :)

Thanks for all the help and information.

Davej
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Excellent. If you were at TFO you were probably talking to Cody. You should go to some of his fly tying classes. He's good people.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    One of the best casting rods I have used is the Orvis Helios 2. Not cheap but what a great rod. There 8wt feels like a 6wt or 7wt, but has tremendous power. They also offer a great warranty for their rods.
    Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592