Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

My First Tarpon! (Juno Beach) [VIDEO]

Last Sunday we decided to move down the beach a little from our normal spot and fish just north of the Juno Beach Fishing Pier – snook was the target species. My two fishing buddies and I arrived at the beach by 6:00 a.m. and they caught some small greenies. We walked out through the first trough and began to fish the live greenies from the sandbar without any luck. After a while we walked back to shore and decided to call it quits but then we saw what looked to be a tarpon rolling on the bait just beyond the sandbar that we were just fishing. None of us had ever landed a tarpon so we decided to go back out to the sandbar and give it one more try, within minutes of the small greenie being pitched out, a massive tarpon destroyed it and at first I thought it had just taken the bait and was not hooked – that was not the case at all! Needless to say, I had a good 10-15 minute fight on my light tackle [listed below video] that we were using for snook and it was pretty amazing – we touched the leader twice but the fish kept taking off. Eventually when we went to grab the fish it spit the hook and even though I didn't get that epic photo holding the fish in the water, I landed my first tarpon on 15# braid with 30# leader and we have footage of the event – enjoy the video and tight lines everyone!

Fishing Gear Used:

Shimano Stradic 4000FJ - Old Model

Star Rods SG612ISM Stellar Lite Spinning Rod

Ande 30# Fluorocarbon Leader

15# Power Pro Braid

2/0 Eagle Claw Circle Hook

- Tim

Replies