Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Shore Fishing Help Needed

My son lives in Tampa and is needing advice for some good places to fish from shore for trout, reds, snook, etc.
We are from Jacksonville & fish both offshore and inshore, but he is without a boat in Tampa. All advic
e is appreciated.

Replies

• ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Probably need to narrow down the Tampa area.. Kinda big with plenty of spots... So ... Is he by the Airport?...or MacDill? Somewhere inbetween?
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Wading is a real good tactic. Opens up a LOT of opportunities, too.
    Grew up wade fishing all around the Interbay area in the 70's and still doing it today.
    With some smashing successes, I might add....
  • Old Man RiverOld Man River Posts: 76 Deckhand
    He lives in the Hyde Park area- not far from Bayshore.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    As GratefulEd said, tell him to start wading. He needs to go on google earth and find accessible grass flats that he can get to from the shore. If he can find his own spot he will catch a lot more fish than if he fishes in one of the popular wading spots. Wading is tough because it is hard to cover a lot of water. If he can find a spot that not many people know about he will catch a lot more fish than if he fishes a flat with 10+ other people. Also, it might be smart to invest in a kayak or canoe. Those can get him to a spot where not many others go. Wading in Tampa is tough because of how many people try it. Plenty of fish, just too many anglers.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • Old Man RiverOld Man River Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Thanks for the advice. I will pass along to him.
  • makobradmakobrad Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Wade the causeways to/from fort desoto. Skyway bridge pier is great. Flats behind the VFW off MacDill. Weedon island. Ballast point pier. Courtney cambell causway.

Used to be a guy on here "secretspot" he offered wading guides.....he did pretty well. Not sure if he is still around. Ive even seen some kayak guides advertised but not sure where
  • palatkacrackapalatkacracka Posts: 107 Deckhand
    Who's your son? I just moved from Jax for grad school down here in January. The wade fishing is pretty great but definitely took a little work. If you wanna have him throw me a text I can help point in the right direction. Ill PM ya my number.