Home Ask the Law!

BAG LIMIT VERSUS POSSESSION LIMITS POSSESSION LIMITS

keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
I was having a conversation with a fellow fisherman the other day and this question came up. we know you can only have a 2 day bag limit in possession on a multiple day fishing trip. the question we have is what is the possession limit. if you go on multiple fishing trips can I only posses two days limit or am I aloud to posses in my own home more than 2 days limit we looked all through the FWC rules and could not find any thing except a 2 day possession limit. what is the actual possession limit if you fish regularly and freeze part of your catch.
The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    I don't run into this often......or at all, but from I recall the two-day trip limit I believe only comes into play aboard party/charter type vessels not private vessels.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,979 Moderator
    The two day limit is only for multiple day head boat trips that have 2 captains and a bunk for everyone on board.

That being said, I believe the question is whether one can possess more than a daily limit, be it one or two days, at their residence. Once the fish is at home, it is food product, and no longer considered fish or wildlife when it comes to possession. Therefore you can load the freezer up, if you so want.
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    The two day limit is only for multiple day head boat trips that have 2 captains and a bunk for everyone on board.

That being said, I believe the question is whether one can possess more than a daily limit, be it one or two days, at their residence. Once the fish is at home, it is food product, and no longer considered fish or wildlife when it comes to possession. Therefore you can load the freezer up, if you so want.

What..? Please link specific law where stated. Possession limit is game..fish, fowl, reptile or mammal...In your possession ! Including your home. Not just out in the field.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,482 Officer
    abacofever wrote: »
    What..? Please link specific law where stated. Possession limit is game..fish, fowl, reptile or mammal...In your possession ! Including your home. Not just out in the field.

Please link your version of possession limit. That just sounds crazy and unenforceable.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Thanks for the replies can we get an FWC or Marine LEO to chime in. Thanks Again.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    Please link your version of possession limit. That just sounds crazy and unenforceable.

My link is where it says possession limit in the regs. put a 100 Lobester tails in your freezer and let the man hear of it. you will get a visit !
    Bag limits are daily and considered as being fresh not frozen. Possession limits are exactly that.. In the possession of a single licensed person.
    Obviously the LE doing the checking has to look at the totality of information and decide if something is going on or not ? A couple extra lbs of frozen Grouper or a few frozen tails over possession limit most likely will not cause a problem if the LEO clearly sees it is nothing more than people that like their seafood. Double or Tripple possession limits is going to get them asking a lot of questions and inspecting boats and gear.
    abacofever wrote: »
    My link is where it says possession limit in the regs. put a 100 Lobester tails in your freezer and let the man hear of it. you will get a visit !
    Bag limits are daily and considered as being fresh not frozen. Possession limits are exactly that.. In the possession of a single licensed person.
    Obviously the LE doing the checking has to look at the totality of information and decide if something is going on or not ? A couple extra lbs of frozen Grouper or a few frozen tails over possession limit most likely will not cause a problem if the LEO clearly sees it is nothing more than people that like their seafood. Double or Tripple possession limits is going to get them asking a lot of questions and inspecting boats and gear.

If you are referring to this, please note that off water possession is for Sportsmans weekend only.
    http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/lobster/
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Once you get whatever regulated species to your refrigerator, its home free all.

Get caught with them on the road, and you'll need a good story.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,103 Officer
    I agree with Jack, Gary and Grouper on this one. According to FWC:

Possession - FWC

Overview
    In general, the daily bag limits set by Commission rule for saltwater fishing are for a calendar day (24-hour period from midnight to midnight). These limits are also possession limits. Therefore, it is illegal to possess more than one day's bag limit "while in, on or above the waters of the State or on any dock, pier, bridge, beach or other fishing site adjacent to such waters" with regard to most species.
    Once you have caught and possess the bag limit for a species, you may not harvest any more of that species until the next 24-hour period. Thus it is illegal to take the catch to shore and then return to the sea to harvest another daily bag limit during the same calendar day.
    Exception
    There is an exception that allows individuals to possess double the daily bag limit certain fish only when fishing from a headboat or charter boat on a trip that spans more than 24 hours and:
     The vessel has a sleeping berth for each passenger aboard the vessel;
     Each passenger possesses a receipt issued on behalf of the vessel that verifies the length of the trip.
    Species included in this exception include:
     snapper (gray, red, Atlantic vermilion, cubera)
     red grouper
     hogfish
     black sea bass
     red porgy
     amberjack (greater, lesser, banded rudderfish

The possession limits for Spiny Lobster - off water is listed under rules for the Sport Season.
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    :nono :cookoo I hope that somebody will straighten this out soon. As possession is two days catch. That is all that is allowed in your freezer for all licensed fishers in the household.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Ketch-up wrote: »
    :nono :cookoo I hope that somebody will straighten this out soon. As possession is two days catch. That is all that is allowed in your freezer for all licensed fishers in the household.

Nope
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse

I can't tell if this one is serious or sarcastic.
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,862 Admiral

No. You can go to the fish market and purchase as much fish, stone crab or crawfish as you want and take it home. You can also stockpile your own legal catches. We are talking about Florida, I do not know the rules in Louisiana.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• BryanCBryanC Posts: 632 Officer

IMO that sounds ridiculous.

If I go to Publix and buy 12 grouper filets, then I am over my possession limit?

If someone doesn't have a fishing license, then is it illegal for them to buy fish or seafood and put it in their freezer?
    Oh man. I'm screwed!!!
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    In your original post you mentioned being able to have a two day bag limit on multi day trip.

Are you referring to state or federal waters?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,378 Officer
    Once your catch is reduced to food at your home then it doesn't count towards any limit. That means cleaned, filleted, packaged and frozen or chilled. At that point it is no longer a regulated species but is a food item. There is no limit on food! If your fish are filleted and skinned in your freezer how do you think FWC is going to be able to tell what species they are unless they do DNA testing? I can go to a fish market right now and buy 1000 lbs of yellowtails or anything else; how is that different than your own catch? Here's a simple solution; CALL FWC and ask them!!!!!!

Otherwise go to the FL Keys forum and read the response to this same question with an answer from FWC!!!!!
  • EyesonuEyesonu Posts: 55 Deckhand
    One day bag limit on the water unless you're on an overnighter. Like a previous poster stated there are certain rules you must adhere to for an overnighter: must be a charter boat, have berthing for everyone, two captain's and a receipt. As far as on land it gets fish specific; you'll need to check the rules for which ever fish you're referring to. For example, lobster. During sport season you can only have a two day possession limit on land on the second/last day of sport season.

Source: fwc