Nusciance Armadillo Removal with a .30 Airgun

Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,549 Captain
This armadillo has been doing damage for months but I could never catch up with him. He finally crossed my path last night. I'm using a .30 Flex air rifle, shooting 50 grain JSB pellets at 865fps. Shot distance is approximately 50 yards. I'm using a homemade night vision system consisting of a camcorder modified to see IR light, an IR illuminator, and a mount that lets the camcorder see thru my otherwise standard rifle scope. Look how accurate the airgun is when matching my crosshair placement to the holes in the armadillo (it takes me a little while on video to find the entry hole on the first shot, but it turns out to be right behind the eye).

Replies

• farside88farside88 Posts: 477 Deckhand
    Nice video.
    Watch it again though. The first shot you did not miss, he turned right before you shot and thats how you hit him in the head, just below the skull, looked like it traveled into the body so no exit wound would be visible.
  • ovidovid Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I'm really enjoying your airgun videos. I'd like to see an airgun hunting forum like the archery one. I'll bet there are a lot of airgun hunters out there
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,549 Captain
    ovid wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying your airgun videos. I'd like to see an airgun hunting forum like the archery one. I'll bet there are a lot of airgun hunters out there

I'm really hoping for more airgun hunting opportunities thru more friendly airgun regulations in years to come. Modern airguns can do everything a firearm can and sometimes do it better. I'd love to see the state open up turkeys and deer to airguns. Several states already allow deer harvest and a few allow turkey harvest. The way most states make sure proper airguns are used is to enforce caliber or power requirements. For example, in California where turkeys can be taken with an air gun, there is a .20 caliber minimum requirement. States that allow deer harvest usually set .30 as the minimum caliber. Although airguns of any caliber can kill deer sized game with brain shots, the rules usually reflect minimum caliber needs for clean double-lung kills.