Blackwater Sound

Going to Key Largo next week and staying right at Blackwater Sound. I was thinking about taking my kayak so I could slip out in the mornings to fish the flats or mangroves but don't know anything about the area. Is it worth taking? Just looking for whatever I can can catch. Snook, trout, redfish, snapper, grouper?

Seems like I heard there was a lot of boat traffic but is that travelling up and down the Keys or all out in the sound? Was going to take the new boat but it wont be ready so mostly going to goof around Pennekamp etc. but was hoping there was some fishing out back.

Thanks.
South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    I have had some fun with mangrove snapper in Jewfish creek. I haven't had much success in Blackwater Sound
  • Mako305Mako305 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Blackwater is about 6-8 ft all the way through. You can catch plenty of mangrove snapper by the trees and little Bonnet heads at night for fun. I've seen tarpon roll through but I never had luck. Have also caught jacks on occasion from the back yard. Its perfect for Kayaks.
  • Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Perfect. Was hoping to at least catch some Mangrove.
  • Flanative78Flanative78 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Yes lots of mangos along the sides of jewfish creek but from morning to evening will be lots of boat traffic there next week.
    From small flats boats to large center consoles. And they don't slow down so be careful. Out in the sound there's plenty of places to kayak though
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    The key will be packed for the next week so fishing the channels will be tuff to do with all the boat traffic you can catch some nice mangrove snapper early or after dark in Dusenbury creek at the mouth of the creek on the north west bank fish it from the mouth back to the middle of the first bend about 2 to 3 hundred yards. their are some nice ledges along that bank. I'll send you a spot in Penny kamp that might produce.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. Just looking forward to being in the Keys and maybe watching the chaos that is mini season.
    Darylb23 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. Just looking forward to being in the Keys and maybe watching the chaos that is mini season.

Spanish Harbor is a bit south of Blackwater. The last time I dove there on mini-season my dad came in our boat to pick me up and freaked out some other divers!! That place was a zoo last time I dove there, speaking of chaos!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,253 Admiral
    we anchored in a side creek and chummed and had mangos and grunts all under the boat, but they've seen hooks and lines before. We couldn't get anything to bite with 15lb flouro. So just know they're tough customers. Caught half a dozen grunts and one mango in 2hrs. But we got a bonnethead and we saw a small school of either permit or jacks, i believe it was permit personally.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    we anchored in a side creek and chummed and had mangos and grunts all under the boat, but they've seen hooks and lines before. We couldn't get anything to bite with 15lb flouro. So just know they're tough customers. Caught half a dozen grunts and one mango in 2hrs. But we got a bonnethead and we saw a small school of either permit or jacks, i believe it was permit personally.

Interesting that the grunts were picky. They sure aren't that way on the patch reefs.
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 104 Deckhand
    Am i missing something here? Im headed to Pennenkamp tomorrow too - why is it going to be so busy? I`m poor so i dont have a boat - hoping to do some wading, but if there is that much boat traffic i might need to reconsider ;-(

Speaking of wading, is wading anywhere round Pennenkamp ok? Are there areas i wont be permitted to fish? Any advice on the better areas to fish? I mainly fish artificials early morning and late afternoon.

Thanks Guys
    The key will be packed for the next week so fishing the channels will be tuff to do with all the boat traffic you can catch some nice mangrove snapper early or after dark in Dusenbury creek at the mouth of the creek on the north west bank fish it from the mouth back to the middle of the first bend about 2 to 3 hundred yards. their are some nice ledges along that bank. I'll send you a spot in Penny kamp that might produce.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,240 Officer
    It will be a zoo in the Keys due to the lobster mini season.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,253 Admiral
    GeeTee wrote: »
    Am i missing something here? Im headed to Pennenkamp tomorrow too - why is it going to be so busy? I`m poor so i dont have a boat - hoping to do some wading, but if there is that much boat traffic i might need to reconsider ;-(

Speaking of wading, is wading anywhere round Pennenkamp ok? Are there areas i wont be permitted to fish? Any advice on the better areas to fish? I mainly fish artificials early morning and late afternoon.

Thanks Guys

IDK about where you can fish at Pennekamp, but I've snorkeled the shipwreck sitting there, and seen tarpon rolling the surface 30yds from where i was swimming so just remember you are in the keys, there are fish aplenty. But people will be looking for bugs this week not fish. If you can rent a kayak i think you'd have a great chance of getting anythign you want.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    No fantastic fishing reports to post but I did get out on Blackwater Sound once this weekend in the kayak. Lots of water to cover and I decided it was too far to paddle all the way across so I went toward Jewfish Creek and fished from about that bridge back toward our house. Only managed one decent sized Cuda but had a pretty good time.

Took a while to even find signs of life other than Cuda but eventually started seeing some Mangrove snapper swimming around and had a few try to chew on the jig I was throwing. Then I saw something working the surface so I started stealth mode so I could sneak over and throw something into them and a guy on a bait boat or something comes around the corner and runs right through that spot, then turns sharp and runs right down the mangrove line I was going to work. I think he didn't realize what I was up to at first and didn't purposely plow my fishing grounds but it was an annoying start to the day.

My kayak is stable enough to stand and fish So I paddled around standing until I found decent looking grass or pot holes or any movement. Floated over a little pack of about 5 nurse sharks, one of them hiding under a piece of something in the water. It was about 4 feet of water so I eventually spooked them, which spooked me a little. I thought I saw a small tarpon but he was far enough away that I wasnt sure if it could have been a larger cuda. Also saw a manatee and various other things.

Saw several large jacks traveling in pairs or threes but they spooked easy and had no interest in my offerings. I did have a pretty large snook follow my bait once from under a dock but didn't take. I gave him some time and came back and could see his shadow under there but couldn't get him to bite.

The cuda was maybe 24" so not huge but big enough to make a couple good runs and destroy my leader. If I were to go back I'd approach a little different but had a nice day out there. Mini season was over so not too much boat traffic. It is a vast flat so difficult to really cover in a kayak but I'm guessing it could produce. Thanks for the advice. I wish I would have had more time to try some of the spots mentioned but I was with a large group of family so I had to take what I could get.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    It's always fun to just get out on the water. Snook ,Tarpon, Jacks, mangrove snapper and Cudas not a bad day of fishing.:beer
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
    Glad you had a pretty good time:fishing