Refuge Permits

2»

Replies

• Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    deleted
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    lc i'm not running out and telling anyone. I know how the system works. You bet for sure i'll be in it next year though. Pretty messed up to think someone should have a PUBLIC hunt all to themselves.

If I thought that, I wouldn't be hunting either one of those places that was available bud...PUBLIC is PUBLIC...doesn't mean I wanna broadcast it to everyone and their brother either. Think whatever you want though. Loose lips sink ships...that's something not a lot of people can disagree with. Also look at your statement. You aren't running out to tell anyone, but you'll definitely be in it. Why? Because you want the odds in YOUR favor so YOU can score a permit. Sounds like the same idea that my statement is based off of does it not?
    blackmagic wrote: »
    Yea, we get it professor.

This place continues to go in a great direction. :shrug
  • betiobetio Posts: 96 Deckhand
    Reminds me so much of ft McCoy.... In the mid 90's an article was written about how great the hunting was in their. Couple years after, it was a zoo. In Citrus very similar thanks to woods n water around 2009.....now they kill 25% of what they did. Loose lips definitely impact

"we quell the storm and ride the thunder"-betio bastards
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 803 Officer
    If I thought that, I wouldn't be hunting either one of those places that was available bud...PUBLIC is PUBLIC...doesn't mean I wanna broadcast it to everyone and their brother either. Think whatever you want though. Loose lips sink ships...that's something not a lot of people can disagree with. Also look at your statement. You aren't running out to tell anyone, but you'll definitely be in it. Why? Because you want the odds in YOUR favor so YOU can score a permit. Sounds like the same idea that my statement is based off of does it not?

I just wanna hunt. Where and whenever possible. Maybe one day I can own a piece of land and do my own thing but until then i'm in the same boat as everyone else.I know people hate it when the place or way they hunt isn't so secret anymore but think about this, they were prolly looked at it the same manner when they started as well.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,282 Officer
    The big difference today is new hunters seem to be all about shortcuts. A lot of us learned & gained our "favorite spots" through a lot of time & sweat. Today it's I pulled a permit can someone tell me where to start. I'm sure a few of the new people do go on the websites or google earth to check places out but seems the posters ask for guidance. I guess killing an animal everytime we go is the priority maybe. I agree w LC some things are better not posted. Human natire is that we all like to be the ones to tell everyone about the "new best WMA or hotspot".
    Oh well - just a few more weeks till the opening...
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,863 Captain
    This hunt will be a once in 15 or 20 year draw lol last year's play by play of the check station didn't help either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,868 Moderator
    betio wrote: »
    Reminds me so much of ft McCoy.... In the mid 90's an article was written about how great the hunting was in their. Couple years after, it was a zoo. In Citrus very similar thanks to woods n water around 2009.....now they kill 25% of what they did. Loose lips definitely impact

"we quell the storm and ride the thunder"-betio bastards

Lol that's what my dad saw that started us hunting it. I wish I could still hunt it with the new APRs in place.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,668 Admiral
    get rid of game cameras and watch the woods become less crowded..

Lol maybe
    maybe... definitely!
  • Fish AddictFish Addict Posts: 686 Officer
    Social media and these internet forums has completely changed hunting/fishing. Im with LC.. we all understand public land is public land but i dont get why guys broadcast all these great spots all over the internet. I love to snook fish. For years me and my uncle used to fish a spot in palm beach county at night that always had tons of huge fish. Last year a few guys from miami came up during the july full moon and caught some monsters at this spot. They posted all over facebook/youtube and now its crazy. Fished there last week during the full moon and there was 20 guys. Im certainly not trying to "claim" some public spot but i just dont get telling everyone and posting it all over the internet..

and getting rid of game cameras isn't gonna change anything

If only because people aren't walking in to check them. Still the same number of people hunting though.
    I bet ya diff.. without them some would quit for sure. A lot will get discouraged and quit. Some will adjust some wont.Win win for the real hunter
    I bet ya diff.. without them some would quit for sure. A lot will get discouraged and quit. Some will adjust some wont.Win win for the real hunter

I agree to an extent. The art of reading sign and learning what sign is worth sitting Over and what sign isn't through trial and error has been forgotten by many. Now it's find some sign, put up camera, hunt. It has sped up the learning curve for some and for others...they never figure out why they get big bucks on camera but can't seem to kill them. Those are the people that typically tend to fade out anyways. I use cameras for sure...but they are just another tool...nothing more and nothing less.
    It's really just conjecture either way but I can't imagine there are people who are only in the sport because they can put a camera up in the woods. There's no doubt that cams have given many the will the get on stand more often...and on that point I'll agree with you. But, as LC said, they are merely a tool and you have to correctly use the information collected for it to help you.
  • spfldbowhunterspfldbowhunter Posts: 893 Officer
    Regarding game cams and the NWR that shall not be named, don't use them out there unless you want to donate them to USFWS. They rack up a pretty good collection while looking for them last year... Rules are rules :)
    Eph. 3:20
  • Humble hunterHumble hunter Posts: 446 Officer
    The system is so screwed up now that the only permits you are going to get after using your quota points will be in the redraws. Many on this site would be lost in the woods, and never kill squat in they did not have there technology. Only a few know how to do it the old fashion way. Draw a hunt, scout on foot, use compass if necessary, Kill the game you seek. A lot of real good hunters that used to talk on this site do not post squat anymore due to the lazy cyberhunters following them around. Technology is taking our jobs, and teaching novice hunters to piggy back on others hard work.
  • PinkIndian321PinkIndian321 Posts: 485 Deckhand
    Another derailed thread, but I'll bite.
    Hunting public land is ultra competitive, take any advantage given to you. My buddies, some on this forum, know when I'm hunting, where I'm hunting, and when I'm successful. We share information with each other and hope that each other is successful when they get their chance at a place. The same as it always has been. My advice: Keep a close circle of friends, get in the woods as much as possible, and try to have some fun. Like much in life, you get out of it what you put in.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 803 Officer
    Another derailed thread, but I'll bite.
    Hunting public land is ultra competitive, take any advantage given to you. My buddies, some on this forum, know when I'm hunting, where I'm hunting, and when I'm successful. We share information with each other and hope that each other is successful when they get their chance at a place. The same as it always has been. My advice: Keep a close circle of friends, get in the woods as much as possible, and try to have some fun. Like much in life, you get out of it what you put in.

I hear ya!
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Well said Pinkindian!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
2»