To the Keys we go!!!!!

GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 104 Deckhand
Guys and Girls

In from South Africa (where fishing is a little different) on vacation - leaving Hollywood on Sunday to head down to the Keys for 3 weeks in an RV. Its been an awesome trip thus far even though ive not really caught any fish. Met some really cool (local) cats while fishing the past 2 weeks west and east FL.

First stop is JP State Park - mostly snorkeling with the kiddos and wife but - early morning and late afternoons are my designated fishing times.

2nd is Long Key State Park and the last week Curry Hammock.

I will be wading and fishing from land all the time, no boat, might get into a charter if the finances allow it towards the end of the vacation and haven't at least jumped a tarpon ;-) I generally fish artificial and have a little bit of everything. I have about 4 different arties rod/reel combos going up to 40lb so i should be able to handle "most" of everything i hook. I also have some heavier setups for fishing bridges should i need to.

I have gone through the FAQ posted for the Keys and really enjoyed the wading information, i`ll be doing this mostly. The FAQ is 4 years old so, if there is any additional information anyone wants to add or anyone needing someone to fish with during the coming weeks - please let me know. I`ll fish for anything - really, if it swims i`ll try and catch it.

Cheers for now

Replies

• mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 331 Deckhand
    The Keys you will experience next week will not be the typical keys. It is mini lobster season. It will be jammed packed with people, and traffic.
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Stay off the roads on Tuesday afternoon.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,325 Captain
    see post #2
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    mikeloew wrote: »
    The Keys you will experience next week will not be the typical keys. It is mini lobster season. It will be jammed packed with people, and traffic.

It's already packed and more coming by the hour I came up the stretch a few hours ago it's steady boats and cars all the way to Florida City and it's only Thursday. I'll be in Miami as far away from all those props as can get. :dog
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • silentfaithsilentfaith Posts: 359 Deckhand
    i have a kind heart for south african's because you folks are the only country east of the pond that really likes americans. i had two big cats built in cape town and you guys know how to build great boats, you were very kind to me and my wife while we were there. please email me when your there and where you are. i am bringing my trawler to the keys next week and if were close we will have a visit. kindly,cpt.craig
    [email protected]
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 104 Deckhand
    Ive managed to figure out whats going on - and have seen that people are getting real excited about the mini season. I went to the store today to stock up on some adult beverages - traffic is pretty insane already. I wont be going out anytime soon again so i`ll be fine but thanks for the heads up!!

I managed to jump 2 Tarpon this morning at daybreak on topwater lures - i went there looking for snook and whatever else that wanted to bite so i was a little shy in the tackle department - even though i got busted up it sure was a sight to see - my first real Tarpon experience. If you look closely you can see the fish in the background of the photos. This happened at 1 of the 2 snorkelling sites along the mangroves, wading, at Pennekamp.
    Sorry - double posted the pics - dont know how to undo that, and they seem really small.
    Hey Capt

Well, that's good to hear, there are some really great boat builders there and yes, we really do like the Americans!! I`ll drop you an email and would be great to catch up - thanks for the note!
    i have a kind heart for south african's because you folks are the only country east of the pond that really likes americans. i had two big cats built in cape town and you guys know how to build great boats, you were very kind to me and my wife while we were there. please email me when your there and where you are. i am bringing my trawler to the keys next week and if were close we will have a visit. kindly,cpt.craig
    [email protected]
    PS : Can anyone tell me where the least expensive "boat for hire" place is going to be in the Pennekamp/Key Largo area? Want something i can take out to the reefs to do some snorkeling with the wife and kids and then double up as something i can fish off of for a bit too?

Cheers for now
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,059 Officer
    Great to see you got some fish action.
    Yup - i jumped a couple more this morning, actually, i think they`re just having fun slapping my lures out of the water - think they`re just playing with me and not really committing to the bite. Might look at wading some of the backwater tomorrow - just not looking forward to the boat traffic though
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,239 Admiral
    Good luck I hope you land one!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Not a touch this morning although i saw them swimming lazily breaching the surface but not interested at all. Ill scale down tomorrow and look to see if i cant get into a Snook - all this Tarpon jumping has me shifting gears, need to get back to trying to catch that Snook.

I`ll keep trying and hopefully next week in Marathon area the fishing and access will be better ;-)
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,647 AG
    Good luck and stay safe out there.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.