Waterworks Lamson Vanquish

BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
Hey y'all...
Looking for firsthand reviews, opinions, reports, etc on the Vanquish reel... In particular the V12.
I've been pretty impressed with all my WW/Lamson reels over the years, but they've all been lighter wt set ups.
Is this reel up to snuff for the big boys? The WW conical drag has always been good, worried more about frame flex, etc.

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Are you being tempted by the closeouts...e.g. Sierra Trading Post
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    Less frame flex than a tibor pacific. In an apples to apples comparison it had more top end drag than a mako 9550. The only criticism I had was with the roller clutch. There's a redundancy (2 clutches), but the squeek was annoying even though it didn't effect how the reel functioned. Bear in mind I take my gear swimming.
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Wow, that's a pretty glowing review, thanks Ol Dirty.
    Good thing you're the moderator of this joint, because that first sentence is fightin words to lots of peeps, lol.
    Yeah Tarpon41, stp has good deals, and that is one I'm looking at.
    The V12 is freakishly wide, not a bad thing, just thought I'd mention it.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Less frame flex than a tibor pacific. In an apples to apples comparison it had more top end drag than a mako 9550. The only criticism I had was with the roller clutch. There's a redundancy (2 clutches), but the squeek was annoying even though it didn't effect how the reel functioned. Bear in mind I take my gear swimming.

Mr Dirt

I 'am mostly an Abel guy, However I do have the Tibor Pacific QC, I have NEVER noticed any reel flex or wobble, if I did I would have sold it. And the only noise I ever get from the Tibor is sweet music. Now after all that being said I' am also a realist, if something isn't right I don't have a problem discussing it, however I haven't found much wrong with the Tibor QC and I wouldn't own ANY reel that had a squeak, I take my fishing way too serious for that...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    Mr Dirt

I 'am mostly an Abel guy, However I do have the Tibor Pacific QC, I have NEVER noticed any reel flex or wobble, if I did I would have sold it. And the only noise I ever get from the Tibor is sweet music. Now after all that being said I' am also a realist, if something isn't right I don't have a problem discussing it, however I haven't found much wrong with the Tibor QC and I wouldn't own ANY reel that had a squeak, I take my fishing way too serious for that...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Personal preference Carl. I've rigged dozens of pacifics over the years and they definitely do flex. If you favor that design, Islander does it better, and Abel does it lighter. The popularity of the tibor is a mystery to me. Same goes for nautilus, I don't get it.
    Mr dirt,

I only bought my Pacific for the QC feature, while trolling my locator flies, again I have never noticed the frames flex at all, If Abel made an extra large QC reel like the pacific, I am sure I would own it instead.

Carl Blackledge
    I been trolling flies in Mexico to locate fish for 17 years, I am not ashamed.

Carl Blackledge
    Well a man ought to have conviction in his own actions...
    whatever
    Hope you know I'm just rassin' ya Carl..
    I'm not one to care if you troll flies. Having a blast is the only prerequisite.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 191 Deckhand
    B&B 'Lash...Carl's brusqueness has its genesis in Downeast trolling, Rangley lakes, in an Old Town canvas square back with a double Mickey Finn and a 10 foot bamboo for landlocked salmon. His flinty prose is from nor-east...not the charming left/west coast life he now leads.
    Backlash wrote: »
    Hope you know I'm just rassin' ya Carl..
    I'm not one to care if you troll flies. Having a blast is the only prerequisite.

Backlash, It's all good
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    What's the difference if you troll lures to entice the fish and than yank it out and toss in a fly. End result will be the same.
    saltybum wrote: »
    What's the difference if you troll lures to entice the fish and than yank it out and toss in a fly. End result will be the same.

Salty,

That's exactly what we do is troll a very large fly, once the fish come up to play, we then cast articulated Crease flies at them. Of course once you mention "TROLLING A FLY" every person from the peanut gallery adds some sarcastic comment....over and out

Carl Blackledge