Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

At the Pass 7-16 with a Newbie

Launched @ 6:55 with a guy I've never fished with....Water was a chilly 84.1f.
To the beach for the "promised" topwater bite. 2nd cast, 5 pound jack. Some small jacks and then a 24" snook.
New guy is having trouble working the chug bug. A few minor blow-ups, but no weight. I can see he is struggling with the topwater. Wind was to be SE 5-10.....nope, more like 10-20 with 2-3 foot rollers 1/2 mile from shore.
To the Morgan River for trout/mango's. He does get a mango and sheepshead on shrimp/cork combo. Not much else.
To the outside near Cape Romano. A bit bumpy, but finally the anchor stuck. Some jacks and catfish and finally a ladyfish to fill the "trash can slam" and cut bait!
Newbie and I see a 3-foot bonnethead shark swimming behind the boat. A minute later, newbie catches the shark on a shrimp! I toss a freelined shrimp in and close the bail and tug! 16" trout. Thank you!
Newbie then catches a 22"snook and is very happy he got a snook.
As we are watching his cork behind the boat, we see this monster, key word "monster" snook leisurely swim by his cork. This snook was well over 44".....and never looked back. It was nice to see a linesider that big.
Off to the area where I've done well with trout and did manage 2 shorts and the obligatory catfish. Did manage a 13" mango on cut ladyfish and called it a day.
Newbie enjoyed the day in the 10K and he did learn quite a bit. Some more schooling and he'll do much better.

Next weeks I'm going to "give 'em a break" due to travel. Hope to be on the again Aug 13 or 20th. Till then, be safe, have fun. Looking forward to the cooler weather/water. Oct will be here soon enough.

PS: at one time, we were all Newbies........
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies