Personal Best Snook

Hey everyone,
Went out to 10k on 7/13 launched in the morning (had a hard time) I felt like it was going to be a so so day but I just finished fixing up the boat some more and wanted to run her and make sure she is good, so I took the boys out fishing. My kids like fishing live shrimp, they are not too much into artificials, though I am, long story shot.. Everglades boat and tackle isn't open and no one else has received their shrimp delivery yet... so we had a pack of frozen mullet and some gulp shrimp and head out. It was a ladyfish/catfish day, so we used a lot of them for bait so the kids could have fun pulling on sharks, but it turns out that one of the spots we pulled up to had some larger sized goliaths hanging around, I tried to get the kids to use my phone to video the surface strikes on the freelined ladyfish, but somehow when I handed him the phone he must of tapped the screen as it stopped recording, either way, they smoked us every time and we probably would have needed some serious terminal tackle to deal with them, but it was cool watching them surface and strike (or inhale if you want to call it that). So, my older kids are getting better at baiting and tying braid to flouro, etc, so I am actually starting to fish a little, we were on the inside patrolling some mangrove shorelines and I was trying to get them to start using the gulp shrimp on the jigheads as opposed to chunks of mullet on the jigheads as all they were catching all day was basically catfish, just as I was preaching that artificials work well and they were not having it, my lure got jumped and here I was fighthing a large snook. Okay.. some history.. I have hooked many big snook, they just have never made it to the side of the boat, usually find a way to fray the leader or take me into the mangroves, this one I was totally not losing!! I put my rod down into the water and starting turning her as best I could, after a decent fight, I FINALLY landed a decent sized snook!!!! My first real decent sized snook (that I caught, my kids caught bigger than this before.. lol) So here is my happy face for a quick photo and a quick release!

Thanks for reading guys.. Also, I have to give a shout out to a nice gentleman that helped me at the ramp, I had issues dropping the boat in and picking her up.. seems my tires enjoy floating more than most.. embarrassing to say the least.. not sure why I didn't have that problem the last time I put the boat in? oh well.. I will being paying it forward as the nice gentleman requested!!

Charles

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,234 Captain
    Nice snook... Gulp on jigheads will catch every fish you ever encounter in the 'Glades, just work them slowly near the bottom -and if there's a current always try to work across the current never with or against it....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Nice fish! Keep using those arties, anyone can catch a fish using bait...

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,360 Admiral
    Good Job !!
    I'm Zara spookin tomm am then chunk mullet till the skys light up bout 1 pm.
    Back for a nap on the couch..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 460 Deckhand
    Great Job Man! Congrats on the personal Best she's a beauty!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Posts: 191 Officer
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Nice snook... Gulp on jigheads will catch every fish you ever encounter in the 'Glades, just work them slowly near the bottom -and if there's a current always try to work across the current never with or against it....

Thanks Capt. Bob.. what a great tip!
    nobleone wrote: »
    Nice fish! Keep using those arties, anyone can catch a fish using bait...

I know.. I think that is why my kids always wanted to use live bait, my two oldest are old enough where they can start throwing lures now, but all my young ones will continue with live bait for the time being.. keeping the rods bent for the little ones always makes the day better!
    Thanks TRT!
    Joe Snook wrote: »
    Great Job Man! Congrats on the personal Best she's a beauty!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Capt Joe!!!
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,096 Officer
    Congrats Charles. As always, thanks for posting.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Congrats Charles. As always, thanks for posting.

Thanks Snookaffinity! Hope I see you out on the water sometime!