Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Kayak transport

I'm debating to get my first kakak, now that all my buddies have one to go out and fish the flats around skyway and weed on island.

Question is, can I really haul a 12-13 footer on the roof of a Nissan Rogue with no roof rails?

I see the foam block kits, but am not convinced it's enough but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jakejake Posts: 326 Deckhand
    A million people use the foam blocks with success, but I would rather spend the money on a good set up with crossbars and be able to pick the vehicle up by the racks if I wanted to. Being able to lock it up and and run into a store on the way home is very helpful.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I used cross bars on 4 different vehicles and it's a great way to go. I switched about 7 years ago to a trailer and love it, less lifting and no dealing with a 100 degree plus roof after a log day of paddling.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • jaxbassmanjaxbassman Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I normally haul mine in the pickup bed, but I took it on a long trip with our Honda pilot (that had factory side rails) and toyed with the blocks. When I put them on and put the yak up there the roof flexed. I decided to drop the coin on the crossbars.

Get the crossbars, a trailer, or a pickup. That's my advice.
  • Jscags626Jscags626 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys, the roof flex is what I was most concerned about when tightening it.

I'll go with the aftermarket rails then, looks like they're not too bad online.

Anyone have better experiences with a particular brand (Thule, Vortex, Yakima etc.)?
    Thule, worked well for me but yakima looks like they have more innovation.

Take a look at this site lots of info, fit guides and sometimes good prices. (I see they now carry Malone, I'm not a fan, I've had multiple failures)

http://www.rackwarehouse.com
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

• ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    The Thule and Yakima are both GTG. I am done roof loading next year, a trailer will work for me. Plus double as a storage rack