Home General Paddle Craft

Hobies new revrsable drive system for 2017

BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
This week, Hobie Cat Company will be unveiling the most exciting change and significant improvement to the Hobie MirageDrive since we introduced it in 1997: REVERSE! It is with great pride that we introduce the new, Patent Pending Hobie MirageDrive 180, a forward and reverse propulsion system that will be standard equipment on all 2017 Mirage Kayaks.

Hobie revolutionized the kayak market with our existing MirageDrive and its many features that have never been surpassed. Never one to sit on our laurels, we tasked our Engineering team to develop a reversing drive a while back and wow, did they deliver. From the early prototypes of the MirageDrive 180, we were all hooked on the functionality and the fun of being able to go backwards. Fishing, docking, wanting a second look at something … the best pedal propulsion system on the market just got even better.

The MirageDrive 180 allows shifting from forward to reverse instantly and effortlessly, just as you would expect from Hobie. With the ease of using just one finger, the easy-reach shifters attached to the MD-180 (as we affectionately refer to it) rotate the fins, and you are immediately in reverse; one more quick pull, and you are immediately going forward again. You can shift direction whether you are at a stop or while in motion! Doesn’t get any easier. Hobie Technology — Hobie Intuitive.

Let’s address some questions you may have:
◾Still beachable? Heck yes, exactly as before.
◾Shallow water? No problem —- you can still flutter-stroke right through the shallows — now in forward or reverse as you please!
◾Retrofittable to all previous Hobie Mirage® products sold? Oh, yeah! Modifications may be required on some earlier model kayaks for the proper fit.
◾Does it fit in all Mirage Kayak models, including the inflatables? But of course!
◾Hobie’s Glide Technology? Yep, the MD-180 still provides the smoothest, easiest ride on the water —- literally gliding with continuous motion while in between pedal strokes.
◾Click and Go Insertion and Removal? Absolutely, as easy as ever, whether the fins are in the forward or the reverse position.
◾Performance? It’s equally efficient in reverse as it is in forward, giving the sensation of flying over the water.

Other important features of the MD-180:
◾Fin and Mast Redesign: ◾The all-new Fin design features great efficiency; stronger, more durable fins for even greater impact resistance; and a clean, new look.
◾Available in both ST-length and Turbo Fins —- there will be no change in the models that include the Turbo Fins as Standard Equipment.
◾Turbo-Fin Upgrade Kits will be available this Fall through Parts and Accessories. It is not possible to put the new fins on an old drive because of the design changes made to facilitate reverse.
◾The new Mast is a larger diameter, which provides more strength, with more resistance to bending on impact.


The new MD-180 will be announced in a Press Conference with the media at the ICAST show in Orlando, Florida this Wednesday July 13th at

Replies

  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    One of these days I'm getting me one of those.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Oh yeah, top of my list for Santa. Now I have to be a good boy. I've lost more than a few nice fish for not bring able to hold position and keep them off obstructions. And I've had to repair my mirage twice in the last year so I'd feel better with an upgrade anyway, with a backup readily available. Easy to talk myself into this...
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Looks cool and I am a sucker for new technology.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Here is the demo from Hobie. http://youtu.be/oRoOL5DJ6oM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

    2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 813 Officer
    You know we are gonna be upgrading just as soon as this hits the streets. Nice!
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    Barrell wrote: »
    This week, Hobie Cat Company will be unveiling the most exciting change and significant improvement to the Hobie MirageDrive since we introduced it in 1997: REVERSE! It is with great pride that we introduce the new, Patent Pending Hobie MirageDrive 180, a forward and reverse propulsion system that will be standard equipment on all 2017 Mirage Kayaks.

    Hobie revolutionized the kayak market with our existing MirageDrive and its many features that have never been surpassed. Never one to sit on our laurels, we tasked our Engineering team to develop a reversing drive a while back and wow, did they deliver. From the early prototypes of the MirageDrive 180, we were all hooked on the functionality and the fun of being able to go backwards. Fishing, docking, wanting a second look at something … the best pedal propulsion system on the market just got even better.

    The MirageDrive 180 allows shifting from forward to reverse instantly and effortlessly, just as you would expect from Hobie. With the ease of using just one finger, the easy-reach shifters attached to the MD-180 (as we affectionately refer to it) rotate the fins, and you are immediately in reverse; one more quick pull, and you are immediately going forward again. You can shift direction whether you are at a stop or while in motion! Doesn’t get any easier. Hobie Technology — Hobie Intuitive.

    Let’s address some questions you may have:
    ◾Still beachable? Heck yes, exactly as before.
    ◾Shallow water? No problem —- you can still flutter-stroke right through the shallows — now in forward or reverse as you please!
    ◾Retrofittable to all previous Hobie Mirage® products sold? Oh, yeah! Modifications may be required on some earlier model kayaks for the proper fit.
    ◾Does it fit in all Mirage Kayak models, including the inflatables? But of course!
    ◾Hobie’s Glide Technology? Yep, the MD-180 still provides the smoothest, easiest ride on the water —- literally gliding with continuous motion while in between pedal strokes.
    ◾Click and Go Insertion and Removal? Absolutely, as easy as ever, whether the fins are in the forward or the reverse position.
    ◾Performance? It’s equally efficient in reverse as it is in forward, giving the sensation of flying over the water.

    Other important features of the MD-180:
    ◾Fin and Mast Redesign: ◾The all-new Fin design features great efficiency; stronger, more durable fins for even greater impact resistance; and a clean, new look.
    ◾Available in both ST-length and Turbo Fins —- there will be no change in the models that include the Turbo Fins as Standard Equipment.
    ◾Turbo-Fin Upgrade Kits will be available this Fall through Parts and Accessories. It is not possible to put the new fins on an old drive because of the design changes made to facilitate reverse.
    ◾The new Mast is a larger diameter, which provides more strength, with more resistance to bending on impact.


    The new MD-180 will be announced in a Press Conference with the media at the ICAST show in Orlando, Florida this Wednesday July 13th at

    I have a question Barrell, for you and the rest of the gang here.

    A good friend is considering one of these when they come onto the market. Personally, I've always been one to wait one year after a new introduction of automobile, boat engine, etc., in order to allow the manufacturer to work any bugs out.

    Does Hobie usually have their kinks lined out before full production or would it be prudent to give this new unit one season of consumer use before purchasing?

    Thanks
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    Basstar wrote: »
    I have a question Barrell, for you and the rest of the gang here.

    A good friend is considering one of these when they come onto the market. Personally, I've always been one to wait one year after a new introduction of automobile, boat engine, etc., in order to allow the manufacturer to work any bugs out.

    Does Hobie usually have their kinks lined out before full production or would it be prudent to give this new unit one season of consumer use before purchasing?

    Thanks

    The one year wait and see is a prudent approach. However, I purchased the hobie glide technology fins the moment they became available, and have had no surprises or regrets. I believe Hobie does a good job of weeding the kinks out of most of their products before bringing them to market. The few freinds of mine who have had warranty claims, have raved about Hobie's excellent customer service. I for one will be buying this product as soon as it becomes available. If there is an unforseen flaw, I believe Hobie will make it right to maintain their good reputation.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    No use for the offshore fisherman. Should be good for the inshore guys.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    No use for the offshore fisherman. Should be good for the inshore guys.

    That was my first thought, but trying it out is the best way to confirm. Worst case, they will still be useful during the few times I fish the ICW.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Most of the time. They take engineering seriously and probably have been testing this drive for a year. However the ultimate test is when 100,000 crazy kayak fishermen get a hold of it around the world Hobie stands behind everything they invent. When they do an upgrade they give it out for free to previous customers.
    Basstar wrote: »
    I have a question Barrell, for you and the rest of the gang here.

    A good friend is considering one of these when they come onto the market. Personally, I've always been one to wait one year after a new introduction of automobile, boat engine, etc., in order to allow the manufacturer to work any bugs out.

    Does Hobie usually have their kinks lined out before full production or would it be prudent to give this new unit one season of consumer use before purchasing?

    Thanks
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Don't discount those new fins so quickly. I cant wait to get a gps on my lap with the new fin system.
    No use for the offshore fisherman. Should be good for the inshore guys.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Barrell wrote: »
    Don't discount those new fins so quickly. I cant wait to get a gps on my lap with the new fin system.

    I'm sure the fins are ok. I'm talking about the reverse, while fishing offshore, when do you need to go in reverse lol? never.
  • mclembassmclembass Posts: 23 Deckhand
    How about when you are fighting a big fish. You could go into reverse and put more pressure on the fish to tire them out sooner.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    mclembass wrote: »
    How about when you are fighting a big fish. You could go into reverse and put more pressure on the fish to tire them out sooner.

    Definitely not. All you would be doing is putting pressure on the line and tackle. It's better to let the fish pull you, it will tire out.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Definitely not. All you would be doing is putting pressure on the line and tackle. It's better to let the fish pull you, it will tire out.
    ^^^THIS^^^


    The only time I pick up my paddle to go in reverse offshore is if I'm coming in fast to take a photo of another angler's catch (as long as I'm not interfering with their fishing) or if they need me to help them free their line from their rudder. Its a rare occurrence so reverse pedals not 100% necessary for me offshore.

    Inshore, drifting past a mangrove stand and needing to maintain my distance from said structure while keeping the bow pointing at the casting target, now that's where I would love to have the reverse fins.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    mclembass wrote: »
    How about when you are fighting a big fish. You could go into reverse and put more pressure on the fish to tire them out sooner.

    Out in open water is just as easy to do a 180 fwd rather than stop direction and go in reverse.....no benefit there....plus reverse in the sea is going to be slower because of hull shape....the stern will get submerged while going backwards with any amount of speed in a sea.

    The reverse feature would be handy for photos of other guys catches, and waiting in line to get bait during an extreme tournament. Hardly justifies the cost (around $ 750 new). I hear there is no upgrade kit, but some of the local dealers are planning to create one by ordering all the parts needed and selling it as a package. The estimated cost for the upgrade kit is between 300 and 400$, and should be available some time after Sept 2016 when the 2017 models first become available.
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    I guess it wouldn't be revolutionary for offshore, but I can see a use for reverse in a few situations (that don't exactly justify the $800)

    - doing the ole' "backing in to the beach in heavy surf" maneuver, so as not to capsize + yard sale.
    - using it to stay perpendicular with my knife jig and not having to do mini donuts.
    - back off a wreck with a big fish rather than trying to go forward and hold the rod in an awkward angle (see youtube video of me loosing AJs)
    - catching bait in current.
  • tnolaninctnolaninc Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Any body know how much the 2017 12 PA will cost?
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    tnolaninc wrote: »
    Any body know how much the 2017 12 PA will cost?

    A close guess would be to add $150 onto the 2016 retail price.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    A close guess would be to add $150 onto the 2016 retail price.

    Yeah I think so. But this happens every year, they change 1 thing so they can justify a price increase. The Hobie kayaks (PA, OB, RV) will be $5k by 2020. When I first got into the sport the Hobie Outback was $1499.
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    What they got to do is change the ****ing hatch
    Hobie outback
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    sammy2189 wrote: »
    What they got to do is change the ****ing hatch

    Sammy add some weather stripping and cross your bungees.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    sammy2189 wrote: »
    What they got to do is change the ****ing hatch
    If your talking about the front hatch just glue a piece of 1/4 inch closed cell foam under the lid. If your talking about the round hatch we are putting the square hatch in a lot of Outbacks.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Out in open water is just as easy to do a 180 fwd rather than stop direction and go in reverse.....no benefit there....plus reverse in the sea is going to be slower because of hull shape....the stern will get submerged while going backwards with any amount of speed in a sea.

    The reverse feature would be handy for photos of other guys catches, and waiting in line to get bait during an extreme tournament. Hardly justifies the cost (around $ 750 new). I hear there is no upgrade kit, but some of the local dealers are planning to create one by ordering all the parts needed and selling it as a package. The estimated cost for the upgrade kit is between 300 and 400$, and should be available some time after Sept 2016 when the 2017 models first become available.
    The parts will not be available until Spring. However if you buy a new drive and sell your old gt drive used for half price it will be easier as I have been told the new reverse drive is much harder to work on.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,974 Captain
    Barrell wrote: »
    I have been told the new reverse drive is much harder to work on.

    Just did some repairs on my GT Drive, keeping the bushings in place is frustrating, not looking fwd to having a drive that is harder to service.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    The trick to reasembling the gt drive is:
    1-you can only slide the parts on one direction. The other direction will push out the needle bearings
    2- You need to push a little scrap of pool noodle foam in side the needle bearings before assembly. This will keep all the needles in place so the axles can slide through. The foam scrap will pop out the end.
    Just did some repairs on my GT Drive, keeping the bushings in place is frustrating, not looking fwd to having a drive that is harder to service.
Sign In or Register to comment.