Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Wet cat food for chumming bait fish?

I was told this works anyone try it before? Tried to do a search here and nothing came up? You never know I think it would work I guess?

Regards,

Replies

• tilemantileman Posts: 1,123 Officer
    Yep! Mix wet and dry. Grind up the dry and mix with the right consistency make balls out if the thick mixture and drop over board let it work a few mins. And throw the net. You can poke a few holes in a can or two and toss it in also. Do this over a grass flat and it'll bring in the bait
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • HOOKED UPP!HOOKED UPP! Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 706 Officer
    I make my own "sabiki" rigs. Three hooks closer together than a sabiki. Then I attach these small stainless bait cages filled with wet catfood below that and then a sinker. That's what I use to catch pinfish. It will bring them in when they are playing hard to get. Sometimes I also squirt some menhaden oil on the basket also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Bait-Cage-Fishing-Trap-Basket-Feeder-Holder-Stainless-Steel-Wire-Useful-HU-/222151693220?hash=item33b945d3a4:g:o7QAAOSwo6lWGHOH

I buy wet seafood delight cat food at wal-mart. It's about $14 for a case and it will last a long time. I almost always just use one can on a trip.

Jay
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Ever since Cozy Kitten went off the shelf's I have been using Oatmeal...Sand and pogie oil.. Mix 1 cup Pogie to one container of oats.. Mix with water to a sloppy mix..put in sand till thick..

Throw golf ball sizes every 30 to 40 seconds.. If you have left overs..scoop it into a ladys panty hose or a thin sock... and tie up.. Hang over boat as chum bag..

Been using this mix for 20 years or so now..Always calls them in
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 742 Officer
    Some good ideas guys. I just use canned mackerel and oatmeal mixed fairly dry. I think the dryness helps keep the chum close to the boat. Especially in stronger current.
  • OffshoreorgohomeOffshoreorgohome Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    We use cat food, mackerel, sand, dry fish food and - the secret ingredient - glitter......multiple colors of glitter. The glitter really seems to "call" the bait in when the conditions are right, current is wrong or other stuff isn't working. Another trick we learned from some folks in the Keys was to use old paper bags with holes punched in them to drop when you're shallow for bait fish or deep when going for grouper or other bottom-ish fish. The paper disintegrates over time and the holes let the chum out slowly.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,123 Officer
    I was going to put glitter in my chum also til someone pointed out to me that it can be damaging to the fish, they will ingest it and can be really bad if not fatal for the fish.....so I canned the idea.
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,786 AG
    some great ideas i'm borrowing in this thread thanks
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • HOOKED UPP!HOOKED UPP! Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Wow, I thought he was pulling my leg when said try cat food.... I'm going to try these suggestions for sure...

Thanks for the ideas.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,469 Officer
    Sometimes I use the Purina Ocean Whitefish to start a chum slick, especially when its on sale.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,774 Moderator
    I used to use Kozy Kitten and white bread, mixed up, the I found Purina Tropical Fish Food. A lot less messy, just as effective if not more so, and it doesn't stink. Mix the fish food with water in a plastic Folgers can to the consistancy of peanut butter, flip thumbnail size balls over and throw the net. Put the lid back on the Folgers can and put the leftover in the bait freezer.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,463 Officer
    Funny story...

Take 2 of my best buds to the keys for some fishing. We head out first morning to get bait.
    1st guy breaks out a couple cans of cat food for chumming.
    2nd guy says "You open that nasty smelling bleep bleep thing and I'll punch you in the face".
    1st guy says "Grow a set you bleepity bleep" then proceeds to open can.
    Well, 2nd guy wasn't having it. Punched 1st guy dead in the face as he was puking all over my boat.

No more cat food chumming on the boat.

Yes. They are still good friends. 2nd guy just REALLY hates that smell.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Funny story...

Take 2 of my best buds to the keys for some fishing. We head out first morning to get bait.
    1st guy breaks out a couple cans of cat food for chumming.
    2nd guy says "You open that nasty smelling bleep bleep thing and I'll punch you in the face".
    1st guy says "Grow a set you bleepity bleep" then proceeds to open can.
    Well, 2nd guy wasn't having it. Punched 1st guy dead in the face as he was puking all over my boat.

No more cat food chumming on the boat.

Yes. They are still good friends. 2nd guy just REALLY hates that smell.

Did you catch fish ???
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,463 Officer
    Did you catch fish ???

With artificial:wink
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 66 Deckhand
    I have never seen these cage things before. Friggin genius!!! Ordering some right now! Thank you.
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 765 Officer
    Does the cat food chum up greenbacks or just pins? The tropical fish food seems to be working less and less so I might try switching.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Just buy a bag of Purina and be done with it. I get a kick out of some of these recipes.

All I know is that if I come home smelling like fish and covered in glitter I got some explaining to do to my wife :rotflmao
  • NewwtNewwt Posts: 116 Deckhand
    We've always used friskies patte to get our greenbacks
    Going to try oatmeal balls mixed with menhaden oil and sprinkle in some glitter that I scraped off a strippers rear end, it should have the flavor they want.

That'll start then i'll have a chum block in a bag to keep it going.