Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Holiday weekend fun on the water

Down in Destin all week for our annual family vacation. Got in some fishing (out of Panama City) this past weekend. Bottom fishing on Saturday. Finally got some nice weather & seas for a change; but, the fish didn't really cooperate with us. So, not much to report. My brother-in-law did hook up a huge shark.......probably 7-8 ft. It was like pulling up a dump truck off the bottom. Biggest shark we've ever caught. So, that was pretty cool.

I did catch a really nice sized mahi mahi. It swam up to the boat while we were bottom fishing. I grabbed our flat line rod (still rigged with a wire leader) & tossed out a live cigar minnow. It hammered it immediately and took off like a rocket. Got 4-5 good leaps out of it before getting it into the boat. A blast to catch and a very beautiful fish. Biggest one that I've caught to date.

Beautiful seas on Saturday. Let my nephew take a turn at the helm........never too young to start learning.

Took the girls out Sunday, mid-morning to play around for a few hours. My granddaughter & my niece had never been on a boat out in the Gulf before. They have been begging us to take them out for the last couple of years. So, they finally got their wish. We all had a pretty good time out there.

Hope to make it out one more time while we're down here before having to head back to reality. Plans are for this Saturday. Hopefully, the weather & seas will cooperate.............and, the fish as well. Until then.....

Livin' the Dream !

Replies