Yankee Capts Deep Drop Trip 07/04/16

Great way to spend a holiday weekend. The weather and fishing were both great. No problem with the current or tangles this trip. There was a wide variety of fish caught. As Greg says, everyone caught dinner. I caught 3 nice queen snapper, a big yellow eye snapper, a fire truck (big red grouper), a dozen or more snowy grouper, and 15 - 20 tile fish. The bite was pretty steady throughout the day but was a little slow at night. I caught the red grouper on a buck tail jig as soon as we started the night drift. After that I went inside to my bunk to cool off and get some sleep. I woke up about 2 hours before sunrise and made the mistake of going back to my bunk and slept through the sunrise bite. There were a bunch of black fin tuna caught throughout the night and a some mutton during the sunrise bite.
Greg & crew did their usual great job, making the trip that much more enjoyable. :thumbsup:applause

We got back early enough that I thought I would miss the holiday traffic out of the Keys. Which I did, the traffic wasn't bad at all but I didn't realize Key Largo was going to have a parade and shut down traffic for an hour and half. :mad

More fish pictures here: http://yankeecapts.com/july-4th/

Caught this little guy on an 8/0 circle hook in about 600 ft with a bait bigger then he was. Unfortunately he was DOA.

IMG_1525.jpg

One of the queen snapper I caught.

IMG_1528.jpg

Replies

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,473 Captain
    Boat doesn't look crowded either. Nice going for you! Glad you caught fish this go around.

Pura Vida!
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 882 Officer
    Boat doesn't look crowded either. Nice going for you! Glad you caught fish this go around.

Only 3 short of a full trip, 17 anglers this time.

Thanks for posting Bob. Always a pleasure.

Greg
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 506 Officer
    Good to hear you will not go hungry! Looks like a great trip.
  • lyndonclyndonc Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Bob, glad you had a good trip. Great job.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Thanks for the report Bob. Glad everyone "caught dinner"!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,761 Captain
    Thanks for the report.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Thank you
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report! It was great fishing next to you. I too slept through a couple good bites, but managed plenty of fish. For those reading, the importance of following the tackle recommendations can't be emphasized enough. Rig exactly as the directions show, use the same weight as your neighbor, and keep the bait on the bottom. You'll spend more time catching and less time tangled (20 anglers x 700-1000' of line out each). This is an amazing trip! Get on board!
  • latitude changerlatitude changer Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Great trip !!! but how do you deal with the limit of one grey tile per boat trip ?????
    Great trip !!! but how do you deal with the limit of one grey tile per boat trip ?????

Doesn't apply to 'commercial' fishing boats.

Pura Vida!
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    This vessel has many special permits.
    Pulley Ridge is in Gulf Federal waters. Grey tiles fall under the other reef fish in the gulf, so you are allowed 20 per day.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,462 Captain
    nice. what was the red, long fish?
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    nice. what was the red, long fish?

Queen Snapper
  • BurningDaylightBurningDaylight Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    lyndonc wrote: »
    Pulley Ridge is in Gulf Federal waters. Grey tiles fall under the other reef fish in the gulf, so you are allowed 20 per day.

This is correct. It has nothing to do with it being a "commercial" boat. It's not a commercial boat and Capt. Greg maintains a charter boat permit. Capt. Greg can correct me, but depending on his manifest he is allowed either a 2-day or 3-day recreational catch per angler. Pulley is west (well west) of the 83 line so they are fishing in Federal Gulf of Mexico waters, so you are allowed at least 20 Blue Line tiles per person, maybe even 40 per person or more depending on the trip length.

The regulations in the Federal gulf differ dramatically from the South Atlantic.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 882 Officer
    This is correct. It has nothing to do with it being a "commercial" boat. It's not a commercial boat and Capt. Greg maintains a charter boat permit. Capt. Greg can correct me, but depending on his manifest he is allowed either a 2-day or 3-day recreational catch per angler. Pulley is west (well west) of the 83 line so they are fishing in Federal Gulf of Mexico waters, so you are allowed at least 20 Blue Line tiles per person, maybe even 40 per person or more depending on the trip length.

The regulations in the Federal gulf differ dramatically from the South Atlantic.

I have a GOM Charter/Headboat Federal Reef Permit. Although your post is not entirely correct in its wording you have the facts correct.

It is a common theme. Since we regularly fish in the South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico it can get very confusing and unfortunately it will continue to get worse as new regulations are put forth. I keep a current copy of the regs with me as well as all updates. Not a trip goes by I have to check something.

Greg
    Doesn't apply to 'commercial' fishing boats.

Thanks BurningDaylight for setting the record straight, I stand corrected.

Pura Vida!