Pin Fish Spots off Little Torch

I'm finally getting down early enough for once (today) to have time to try to catch some live bait for the weekend. Anyone have any decent spots/advice on finding decent live bait around little torch? I plan to use sabiki rigs and possibly chum out around the shallow coral areas. Don't have much experience finding the little buggers so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,275 Officer
    Anchor and chum the grassy bottom in pine channel 3-5 ft deep. They will find you.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    abovebored wrote: »
    Anchor and chum the grassy bottom in pine channel 3-5 ft deep. They will find you.

Agree... I prefer to use a small #6 or #8 hook with quid or shrimp rather than a sabiki.
    I often use a small freshwater crappie jig tipped instead of plain hook if weight is needed when the wind or current is strong.

For $20-25 bucks Cudjoe Sales has a pinfish trap...put chum in trap and all the pinfish you want will be waiting in the morning....meanwhile, you can be fishing or cruising or getting ready for tomorrow.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,663 Captain
    buy em at lower keys tackle , life on the line or catch em over grass
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeaJunky03SeaJunky03 Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Thanks all, I just chummed up a grassy area and used a sabiki rig for the first 20 minutes. Discovered the cast net worked way better, loaded up.
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,046 Captain
    If you draw a line from the little palm island dock to party island, I used Chum to attract pin fish in about 5 feet of water over grass. Anchor up so the chum is moving out over the grass and then I start working on rigging for about 15 minutes. After the chum has been working for about 10-15 minutes, I throw 10 foot radius cast net and will often have a dozen or more pin fish. After cleaning out the undersize snapper and grass, go back to rigging the offshore gear and give the net another toss after about 10 minutes. That will usually yield about a total of 20 – 24 pin fish and you are ready to go.

I found anchoring over grass, the lesser the better, and letting chum disperse out in the current works very well for pin fish.
  • area52area52 Posts: 519 Officer
    m9000 wrote: »
    If you draw a line from the little palm island dock to party island, I used Chum to attract pin fish in about 5 feet of water over grass. Anchor up so the chum is moving out over the grass and then I start working on rigging for about 15 minutes. After the chum has been working for about 10-15 minutes, I throw 10 foot radius cast net and will often have a dozen or more pin fish. After cleaning out the undersize snapper and grass, go back to rigging the offshore gear and give the net another toss after about 10 minutes. That will usually yield about a total of 20 – 24 pin fish and you are ready to go.

I found anchoring over grass, the lesser the better, and letting chum disperse out in the current works very well for pin fish.

Could you be more specific?