Motor cover for outside storage

Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
Hey guys, I have a second hand boat that was always stored outside and unfortunately I have to keep it outside as well. Do those motor covers help at all and is it worth investing in? As always I appreciate any input..

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 412 Deckhand
    keeps the sun from fading the cowling. same thing for the console cover. keeps the gauges from fading.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    Especially the yamaha digital gauges. expensive and prone to uv damage.
    Always a good idea to cover the cowlings, seen too many with damaged clear coats.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,982 AG
    Just about any custom bimini top company can make those covers to fit.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Thanks for the input !
    Another thing if you can keep away from snapping the console cover on and hold it in place with a draw string it will be even less maintenance.

• ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Used a cowling cover on my 2008 Yamaha, stored outside and eventually sold it in 2015 . The cover looked like it was 25 years old, but the cowling looked new. I would also wax the cowling every couple years whenever I did the boat.

In general its the UV that trashes everything.... gelcoat, ttop canvas, seat cushions, gauge trim, even trailer tires. Anything you can shield from the sun, go for it you will be doing yourself a favor.
    Element wrote: »
    Used a cowling cover on my 2008 Yamaha, stored outside and eventually sold it in 2015 . The cover looked like it was 25 years old, but the cowling looked new. I would also wax the cowling every couple years whenever I did the boat.

In general its the UV that trashes everything.... gelcoat, ttop canvas, seat cushions, gauge trim, even trailer tires. Anything you can shield from the sun, go for it you will be doing yourself a favor.

Very good post.