Deckhand Job?

Howdy! I'm currently in Physician Assistant school here in Tampa. Grew up fishing in Merritt Island and the surrounding areas both inshore and offshore. Did a lot of work on head boats growing up there. Dialing in Tampa pretty well recently and loving the variety of species. Come this semester as well as in late September we have some breaks and I need to earn a little cash to support my fishing habits. Does anyone have any connections or have any friends that run charters that need an extra hand? Not looking for much, but having three weeks off of school while on fixed minimal loans is difficult. Also not allowed to work during the semesters due to course load and intensity of the program.

If anyone knows of any opportunities I'd love to get my hands dirty. Like I said, not looking for much. Just trying to stay busy and make a little extra cash where I can. Feel free to give me a call or text 321-501-6137

Thanks and tight lines! :fishing:fishing:fishing

Replies

• SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Have you worked as a deck hand before? If not I will tell you if you are doing it for the money you are going to be disappointed. I am a first mate for a private offshore charter boat in my free time. 14 plus hour days working for tips only ( $150 - $200 a trip ) is barely min wage and is hard work. I love it though as I do not do it for the money at all.
  • palatkacrackapalatkacracka Posts: 107 Deckhand
    Yea I did it similarly to you while growing up. Tough work but I love it. Definitely not in it for the money. Just looking for something to use up free time while making whatever I can doing something I love.
  • SaltOnTheRimSaltOnTheRim Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I don't know if you're on Facebook or not, but if you go in and search "Florida Fishermen" and similar terms, there are some pages that are active and you can maybe send a shout out on one of those pages. ALSO... Go to the FL Craigslist for St. Augustine, and under "Gigs," you'll see "Labor Gigs" and someone posted "Boat Help Wanted." Now, it was posted a couple weeks ago, but why not start there? Good luck!
  • palatkacrackapalatkacracka Posts: 107 Deckhand
    Terrific thanks for the help!!
  • SaltOnTheRimSaltOnTheRim Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    :) Glad to help!