Please point me in the right direction

Hey folks, my brother and I rented a place on the water in Cape Coral the last week in July. We are hoping to do some inshore fishing for snook, reds, tarpon (if they are still around this late) etc. Would love some local intel on what areas to start looking, techniques etc. Will be happy to return the favor if any of you make it up to Jacksonville! Oh, and we will be fishing from a 16' flats boat. Thanks in advance!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 14' Lonestar 1955 - rebuilt 2015

Replies

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 769 Officer
    the river is very fresh right now. lots of fresh water being released from lake o. best bet is to trailer boat into matlacha or pine island, and fish north. South, the water has looked like coffee.
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • DLBDLB Posts: 156 Deckhand
    the river is very fresh right now. lots of fresh water being released from lake o. best bet is to trailer boat into matlacha or pine island, and fish north. South, the water has looked like coffee.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I saw that about the discharge in a couple of other posts. Hoping that the flow abates by the end of the month when we get there, but no telling. Wish I had checked into that before booking my rental. :( Live and learn.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 769 Officer
    you can still get out and fish... since the boat is on a trailer, id suggest taking it out to pine island and launching up in bokeelia. that weill put you away from all the fresh water flow. Lots of fishy areas up that way.
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    Will do. Thanks!
    Hey SW folks, I am headed down to your neck of the woods this weekend. How is the water around Cape Coral looking? I have been watching the discharge data from Lake O and it looks like it is down to about half the flow level from the peak. Just curious if any recovery is taking place, or will it take a lot longer? Fishing in the river? or is that still a waste of time and I should head north? Thanks!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    When you arrive watch the news about water quality as I write this ,there is a no swim notice for the river area. Best bet will be Mid to Northern pine Island sound. There are plenty of good fish to be had they are just avoiding the river discharge.
    larrywitt
    Thanks Larry.
  • BAgnewBAgnew Posts: 105 Officer
    As mentioned either trailer up or run up at the least above the power line. Good luck.
    Thanks for the help yall. A couple other questions, 1. What is a good bait and tackle shop in the cape coral and/or Pine Island area? 2. Any suggestions on what areas to start looking for bait around Pine Island?
  • TimGleasonTimGleason Posts: 289 Deckhand
    Snook Hut in CC. Old Pine Island Marina in St James City. Bait - don't have a clue as I don't fish bait. Good luck
    Thanks Tim. I will look them up.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Captain robs in cape, D&D or seven seas on matlacha, Center bait and tackle on pine island.