Marathon Advice

Heading down to marathon for the week and deciding what we should do and where to go.... Definetly want to get on a dolphin bite but after looking I've noticed its been slow, how is the tuna bite at the humps? Also wanting to do a little yellow tailing and spear fishing... Yellowtail shouldn't be hard to get, but for spear fishing want to get my limit of hogs. Would it be better to go to the bay or shallow patches on the Atlantic side?

Replies

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 611 Officer
    I see pictures of tuna being caught at hump everyday. I saw three schools of tuna on a 6hr trip offshore yesterday- fewest in months, but I am nowhere near that hump. the best way to find hogs is to jump in the water and hit your spots lol.
  • boneheadhuntingboneheadhunting Posts: 140 Deckhand
    The spearfishing in marathon is great. But it can be hard without spots. Hit the shallow reef about 25-30ft of water and have someone tow u down the reef until you see an area that looks promising. Don't stay in one spot to long the fish get spooky and usually leave the area after you shoot a couple. The dolphin has been spotty with some good days and some days that u can go all the way to the humps and not see a sign of life anywhere. The reef has been on fire mainly in the late afternoon to the night. Goodluck
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 798 Officer
    I just checked out a bunch of lobster holes Marathon bayside last weekend. Lots of small hogs. I would go ocean side for them for sure.
    No freaking lobster either.:huh
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,626 Captain
    gruntking wrote: »
    I just checked out a bunch of lobster holes Marathon bayside last weekend. Lots of small hogs. I would go ocean side for them for sure.

Send me some numbers and I'll look!
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 798 Officer
    nick wrote: »
    Send me some numbers and I'll look!

I thought I already did. You lose them already?
  • bach2pilotbach2pilot Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    I just spent a week down there and everything was sloooooow, except for Bfins at the hump. We had our best luck trolling yozuri crystal minnows at about 9-10 kts. (We didn't even have much luck deep jigging out there.) Get out there early and catch em up!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,626 Captain
    I thought I already did. You lose them already?

I don't think so?
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    Mahi bite is way out, 35 miles. Got 5 on Sunday and worked way too hard and went too far for 5.
    BF bite is really good late. Went out yesterday and started at about 6 pm, caught 5 very nice ones and headed home. Plenty of tuna. Only 1 other boat to contend with.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator

Hmmm.... Not what I like to hear . We will be in marathon for 10 days during lobster season. Last year seemed a bit off... Was hoping for things to be closer to what I'm accustomed to.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Matt888Matt888 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Mahi bite is way out, 35 miles. Got 5 on Sunday and worked way too hard and went too far for 5.
    BF bite is really good late. Went out yesterday and started at about 6 pm, caught 5 very nice ones and headed home. Plenty of tuna. Onlu 1 other boat to contend with.

Did you have to go to the humps for the tuna bite or were they in closer? I'm heading out tomorrow and don't mind running to the humps if needed. Leaving Big Pine and heading south first, but may work east from the Pine hump towards the 409. Thanks for any info!
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,325 Captain
    WAAAY OUT!!! hump it at 5pm 4 tuna
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]