100 miles out of SRQ

Planned a trip this past weekend for grouper and pelagics. We set out of 10th street and New pass after work Friday. Going to the elbow to see if those big wahoo caught last week had any friends hangin around. Made the 3 hour run 99 miles to find a boat where we wanted to anchor for the nite.

Go figure. We didn't want to crowd anyone 100 miles out, and could see a party/head boat heading our way so we ran to a wreck in 250' to anchor for the nite. Caught one mang and the current and lack of wind took us off the wreck. Crashed at 2 am for a couple hours of sleep.

When we woke up it was still flat calm and there were fish everywhere! A school of 30-40 yellow tail snapper swimming around the boat, but wouldn't eat anything. Spawning time maybe?? A decent mahi swam up to the boat with the remoras and Mack had him in the boat in short order. 33 inches to the fork.

I was working a top water chugger for tuna and only caught the biggest blue runners I've ever seen. 4-5 lbs legit. From there we wanted to get on the troll. Did a couple passes on the wreck and was rewarded with a 15-20 pound blackie.

Headed to a grouper spot we found last year and it was pretty steady. We drifted with two-speed conventionals with 60lb braid to a 150lb swivel to 80 lb flouro, 10 oz. weight and a 10/0 circle hook. The current and wind were great and made the drifts slow and easy. Caught 4 cookie cutter gags 33", as well as scamps 23-29".

We hit a ledge in 250' for the last drop and scored a few nice alamaco's for the box, and some out of season AJ's.

I would head out again this weekend, but the boat races have the ramp shut down and I'm sure it'll be a mad house out there anyways. Til next time......

Devin

Replies

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Nice trip and good variety of fish for the freezer!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    Thanks for your report. It sure makes a case for running deep. Nice to have a dependable crew.
    larrywitt
  • stallan54stallan54 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Great catch!! I would love to get to 100 miles but my fuel tank won't let me. Time to get the new 4-stroke where the gas goes twice as far. Anyone have 20 grand for me?
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Nice job and report :thumbsup
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 390 Deckhand
    Nice report. Would love to get 100 miles out once without it being on a headboat or fishing with 20 other people.
  • Strippedmyclutch!Strippedmyclutch! Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    larrywitt wrote: »
    Thanks for your report. It sure makes a case for running deep. Nice to have a dependable crew.
    larrywitt
    Thanks larry. It's tougher than you think to find a good crew for these kind of trips.
    stallan54 wrote: »
    Great catch!! I would love to get to 100 miles but my fuel tank won't let me. Time to get the new 4-stroke where the gas goes twice as far. Anyone have 20 grand for me?
    Thanks. Hopefully you have 2 motors if you go out that far. 20k would be a sweet deal for some twins....
    frankiez wrote: »
    Nice report. Would love to get 100 miles out once without it being on a headboat or fishing with 20 other people.
    My crew is getting low on funds and I may have room for a new guy on the boat next trip. I usually start thinking/planning my weekend trip on Monday morning. Watch weather to get a gauge on things and make the final call thurs/Friday, and sometimes 3 hours before the trip. Its risky out there if you get caught in it. Ya'll keep your ears on ya!
  • gitnerdungitnerdun Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Nice report, the school of yellow tails may have been rainbow runners. They have the yellow tail, but they school up like mullet do. Fooled me before . I'd like to know how to hook and line them.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Did you run out of New Pass? I've heard its terrible right now. There was even a Coast Guard advisory not to use it. We've been using Big Pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Strippedmyclutch!Strippedmyclutch! Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    gitnerdun wrote: »
    Nice report, the school of yellow tails may have been rainbow runners. They have the yellow tail, but they school up like mullet do. Fooled me before . I'd like to know how to hook and line them.
    Definitely could have been. I've seen them before, but these were smaller fish, maybe 16- 18". All the rainbow runners ive seen were usually atleast 24"
    RMD wrote: »
    Did you run out of New Pass? I've heard its terrible right now. There was even a Coast Guard advisory not to use it. We've been using Big Pass.
    The pass had a drastic change about 2 months ago. Old lane that ran parallel to the beach now has a sand bar the runs E-W about 1/3 of the way down the beach. But a new hole opened up and is more than passible. The big red and green cans are gone now, which is probably why the CG was obligated to deem the pass "usuable with local knowledge only". We run out on plane and never see less than 5 ft. I can post the coordinates that we use if anyone wants them. Is that your 37 Whaler at Marine Max, EL Guapo?