Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Thinking of a repower

YaknjaxYaknjax MemberJax.FL.Posts: 46 Greenhorn
Best small motor for the price.yamaha,suzuki,mercury in the 60-70hp class.i have a carb 40hp Yamaha 4stoke want to up grade more power and fuel injection.

Replies

• rawlobsterrawlobster Senior Member Palm ValleyPosts: 104 Deckhand
    I'm having a new skiff built. I'm going Suzuki 50hp. Most bang for buck. They are only one with a steel timing chain, 3 cylinders 229lbs. Yamaha was heavier, more expensive.
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Senior Member Kingsland GaPosts: 465 Deckhand
    Suzuki and Mercury are hard to beat in this class
    My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
    Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!
  • YaknjaxYaknjax Member Jax.FL.Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    I know I can't go with a Suzuki 70 it's to heavy.i have Yamaha controls and new cables I have to fiqure that in if switching out to a new brand.i haven't heard anything bad about Suzuki really I know mercury had there problems for awhile in the four-stroke seen but don't know about the new ones.
  • ShawalkerShawalker Junior Member Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. I would stick with either Yamaha or Suzuki based on how long these guys have had small four strokes out on the market and have excellent track records.
  • thumperdumperthumperdumper Senior Member Posts: 374 Deckhand
    If you are going a good power to weight ratio...check out Etec. Back when they first came out the tech wasn't as refined. Now - it is very reliable and very refined. A 60 I believe is 15 or so than the Yammi - but it gets power every stroke unlike a 4 stroke. Then again depends if you are running WOT on flats a lot or trolling. What is the name of your game.

I currently run a 115 Merc Otpi...and do not get one. They are as touchy as a drunk girl with insecurities.
  • bigh20bigh20 Senior Member Stuart, FLPosts: 251 Deckhand
    Mercury 50 and 60 is apparently made in China, my former skiff had a bigfoot 60 for a very brief time before I repowered to Evinrude 90 HO, loved the Evinrude which is made in Wisconsin! To be fair the Mercury only had about 10 hours on it when I traded and it worked fine so can't make any claims about durability but when I learned it was made in China (link below) was concerned. Currently have a Yamaha and it seems to work fine (bought boat 2 months ago and only have 28 hours on it). After having a 20 hour service kind of missed my Evinrude which was pretty low maintenance. However, you will spend money on injector oil which levels the playing field.

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/profiles/mercury/mercury-chinese-outboards.htm
    Had a mercury 60hp 4 stroke - ran like a champ. No complaints
    Now have a 115 Opti and it is just touchy....low oil will throw it into guardian mode so you can limp to the dock, too much voltage will shut it off, to little will shut it off, there are tons of sensors....it has good safe guards but they are just annoying. It is also a bit on the loud side since its a 2 stroke. I would really suggest a 4 stroke for the noise...plus changing oil is easy both lower and upper so that saves you tons of money after your warranty expires
  • TUGTUG Senior Member Posts: 824 Officer
    modern 2 strokes are infinitely quieter than they get credit for. I cant even hear my etecs at idle...without the pisser or tach id never even know they were on.

id certainly no longer consider "loud" as a reason to avoid 2strokes these days.
    I have a 2007 115 Opti and had a 2005 4 stroke 60hp Merc. Didnt the the 60 was on - my god you certainly know the 115 is on.

I imagine the 2012 or so ones are quieter...but the 2007...it is not quiet by any means of the definition haha
  • YaknjaxYaknjax Member Jax.FL.Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Yeah it's a 17 foot skiff rated at 60hp but 60-70 would be good the Yamaha f40 is under powerd.
  • TUGTUG Senior Member Posts: 824 Officer
    *shrug...08 etec is super quiet.