Upper Keys Backcountry Advice

Heading out for a few days of backcountry fishing in the Key Largo area in mid July. Gonna be on a flats boat and will be targeting redfish and snook primarily (but wouldn't turn down a snapper or, well...anything else really).

My plan is to try to net baitfish 1st thing in the morning, or as I see them throughout the day, but if am not able to catch any, will have soft plastics to throw. I'll be looking to pole along mangrove shorelines, or shallow flat areas in between key largo/islamorada and flamingo.

What should I be looking for when I am out there targeting snook/redfish? Should I make sure to be in certain areas on an incoming or outgoing tide?

Advance appreciation for any help!

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Theirs not a lot of red fish in the area. though you can catch them in some areas if you want to venture into the back country. their are lots of Snook and Snapper, Tarpon in the areas up close to the key Largo mainland. your best bet will be the mouth of the creeks. pin fish or pilchards if you can find them are your best bet. moving water weather it is incoming or outgoing is key. pitch your baits along the edge of the mangroves, creeks, pilling, etc.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • nialltomnialltom Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the info! I didn't realize the redfish bite was that slow. I'll keep that in mind unless I go farther into the backcountry toward flamingo. Otherwise snook and snapper will be the target. And as far as bait, I'll stay close to the mainland and keep an eye out for birds diving and bait surfacing. Really hoping I can pull in a dozen or 2 at least.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    pin fish should be plentiful on the grass beds use a chum bag to chum them up. if you want to get into some Red fish you are going to have to get back around trout creek , stump pass and beyond. Those areas are about 8 to 10 miles west of key largo. and require some knowledge of the area to have success in targeting reds. I have caught them in trout creek.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • nialltomnialltom Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Great info. I'll work those areas and post anything I get here. Thanks again.