Ramps used to access Honeymoon Island beaches

Planning a first-time trip to the area and wondering what ramps are generally used to access the beaches of Honeymoon Island? This would be a family beach trip, so curious if shallow anchoring of boats are allowed. I appreciate your advice.

Replies

  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Seminole boat ramp just north of the Clearwater Causeway is a short ride from Caladesi and Honeymoon -- just avoid it on the weekends if possible.
  • carterdd11carterdd11 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    jdl1948 wrote: »
    Seminole boat ramp just north of the Clearwater Causeway is a short ride from Caladesi and Honeymoon -- just avoid it on the weekends if possible.

    Thanks jdl1948. A map reference I have indicates access to Hurricane Pass via the Marino's Marina, or Speckled Trout Marina in Palm Harbor, then the ICW south under Dunedin Causeway, then west to Hurricane Pass. Any local knowledge if this is a safe, navigable path at low tide? Map shows pretty extensive sea grass area which makes me think low tide may be an issue. Thanks.
  • fishinggfishingg Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Depending where your staying, seminole is the really nice, Tarpon Springs has a very nice ramp, but when the current is running can be a little challenging, don't be concerned about low tide or grass flats. you should also check out Caladesi State Park, may only be accessed by boat. Weather Seminole or Tarpon they are both short runs to where your going, and anchoring is never a problem.
  • EvertonEverton Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Speckled trout and marinos I believe are private. You may wanna double check their websites or give them a ring first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 309 Officer
    Everton wrote: »
    Speckled trout and marinos I believe are private. You may wanna double check their websites or give them a ring first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes they are both private, and Speckled Trout recommended George's, I went over there Friday before Memorial day weekend and the lady wanted $20 for day parking. Needless to say I went elsewhere. Anclote Park is a great ramp, ample parking and not too long of a run south, but I've also seen challenging conditions there depending on outgoing tide with a south wind.

    As for anchoring, just about a mile south of Hurricane Pass is a great place to anchor, there's a bar that runs just off the beach so the water is waist-chest deep and only accessible by boat so it's usually relatively quiet. Perfect for family relaxing time.
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    carterdd11 wrote: »
    Thanks jdl1948. A map reference I have indicates access to Hurricane Pass via the Marino's Marina, or Speckled Trout Marina in Palm Harbor, then the ICW south under Dunedin Causeway, then west to Hurricane Pass. Any local knowledge if this is a safe, navigable path at low tide? Map shows pretty extensive sea grass area which makes me think low tide may be an issue. Thanks.

    Sounds like you may be coming from the north which is somewhat out of my area; seldom north of Dunedin Causeway myself. The last time I was through Hurricane Pass, there was considerable silting visible which somewhat narrowed the channel to the Gulf. Often heavy traffic in the Pass on weekends, as well as jet skis and kayaks to watch for. Also, if you are new to boating in this area, watch the channel because it can get very shallow vey quickly along the ICW outside the channel.
  • carterdd11carterdd11 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    jdl1948 wrote: »
    Sounds like you may be coming from the north which is somewhat out of my area; seldom north of Dunedin Causeway myself. The last time I was through Hurricane Pass, there was considerable silting visible which somewhat narrowed the channel to the Gulf. Often heavy traffic in the Pass on weekends, as well as jet skis and kayaks to watch for. Also, if you are new to boating in this area, watch the channel because it can get very shallow vey quickly along the ICW outside the channel.

    I appreciate all of your information. Looking forward to getting out there. I'll stick to Seminole ramp/Clearwater Pass.Thanks guys.
Sign In or Register to comment.