What to fish for in Marathon in August?

Hi Guys

We've been coming across to Florida (from the UK) for the last few years for the Tarpon run. Due to the kids having exams at school we didn't make it out this year and we thought we wouldn't get across at all till 2017.

As it turns out- good luck has favored us and we are getting out in August for a couple of weeks. Having never fished the keys before in August I just wanted a bit of advice as to what we should look to focus on. We've got access to a 23 footer- so we can head out a bit. The questions that I had were:

I was thinking either the bridges or the reef would provide good fun for the kids and put some food on the table?

Do the fish head to deeper water with the high temps?

Is the wind lower in Aug? We've had some spoiled days when we've been in May with days and days of high wind.

Out of preference does the Gulf or Atlantic provide the best fishing at that time of year?

I'm guessing there are no tarpon left coming through by Aug?

There seems to be a few good marks at the 100-130 feet depth - is it standard to anchor and chum over these points like you would on the shallower reefs or just drift through and over?

Sorry for all of the questions!!!

Cheers

Neil.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,416 AG
    Look up the Marathon Hump if you want to get out and look for Pelagics. Chumming on the reef for Snapper is always fun. No idea about Tarpon, but I imagine there are some year round residents you can look for.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,942 Captain
    chum the reefs in 60-90 foot. Mangrove snappers at night will be on fire
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Hi, Neil,
    You didn't miss much on the tarpon this year...we caught our share, but the bite was slower than usual.

Yes to most of your questions...
    Reef would be a good plan; I don't have much Marathon bridge knowledge.
    The reef fish are deeper than in early spring, but still anywhere from 60-160 feet.
    Except for afternoon thunderstorms and tropical weather, calmer in August.
    Except for the specific Gulf wrecks (which are loaded with big sharks) the Atlantic side has much better fishing and wider variety.
    Fewer tarpon that time of year, but a few hang out at the bridges year-round. The locals also can point out some baby tarpon that time of year, (but might not!)
    Even though it's a bit tougher to anchor in the deeper water, that's the way to do it.
    Bert
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    August is bug season in the Keys!
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia

• UK AnglerUK Angler Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Hey Burt!

Long time no speak! Hope you and your's are well!

Sounds like it's been a tough year for the Tarpon. It's been even harder being sat 6000 miles away looking at all the great photo's of guys jumping huge Poons!

Hope you managed to get a few to the boat though.

I guessed that I had missed them all- but given the opportunity to come back and fish in the keys for a couple of weeks I couldn't not take it. I guess I can throw a couple of rods out for them whilst I fish with the kids around the bridges. You never know I might get a chance to jump one whilst I'm hanging out catching small stuff with the kids.

I've not managed a Permit or Bonefish whilst I've been out either- so I might bring the 8wt and give them a go. I might have to find a guide to help out there though- I suspect 'needle in a haystack' might be the appropriate term. I can't see my 23 footer quietly pushing across the flats either LOL.

I did read that there might be a few bones hanging out in Boot Key Harbour though...not sure if that's duff information or not...seems like a busy route to hold Bonefish.

I didn't know lobsters would still be hanging out too- I might have to have a go at that- looks fun (and delicious)
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,569 Captain
    lobster, hump tuna
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    lobster, hump tuna

Thanks for the heads up- I've seen the guys from 'Into the Blue' fishing the Hump before (on Youtube- we don't get it here)....It looks a mental place. Both from a fishing perspective and the currents.

It might have been a particularly bad day when they were on it- but their 30 footer was getting rolled all over the place. Is it usually that bad out there? Or is it easier (flatter) fishing on a calm day?

Looks a good run out too ...12ish miles? I'm guessing it's worth the fuel and time?
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,767 Captain
    UK Angler wrote: »
    Looks a good run out too ...12ish miles? I'm guessing it's worth the fuel and time?

I think it's more like 25 from Vacca cut
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    25 miles seems a long way out to me...but I guess its all relative. :-) I suppose it's only an hour run- I guess just keep an eye on the weather.
    25 miles seems a long way out to me...but I guess its all relative. :-) I suppose it's only an hour run- I guess just keep an eye on the weather.

August will usually provide a lot of relatively calm weather conditions (barring tropical activity). Just go early and troll waaaay back, as they are often skittish later in the morning. Blackfin are usually the target, but I like skipjack just as well. Fresh grilled tuna in a tuna salad is really hard to beat (in the event there is any left over after the meal).
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

August will usually provide a lot of relatively calm weather conditions (barring tropical activity). Just go early and troll waaaay back, as they are often skittish later in the morning. Blackfin are usually the target, but I like skipjack just as well. Fresh grilled tuna in a tuna salad is really hard to beat (in the event there is any left over after the meal).