Hillsboro Inlet 26 June 2016

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,817 Captain
Launched at 4:30 am in anticipation of catching goggle eye baits. The cloudless sky and 2/3 full moon did not help -- it was so bright out that it seemed like a full moon. Did not catch any gogs :( , so headed out in search of runners and scratch out enough to fish with by 7am. First 2 baits out were hit in 160ft of water on the slow troll. Medium sized king fish on the downrigger and a large Little Tunny on the surface bait. The King was not happy to board my kayak and nearly bite my leg -- luckily no damage done. After that it slowed down. Slow trolled baits off Hillsboro Inlet until 10am for zilch -- not even a nibble. There was a ton of weeds everywhere making it difficult to drag a bait without having to de-weed it every 10 minutes. I headed out deeper for the afternoon to hopefully jig up some blackfin tuna. Had a run of 3 small blackfin in a row, but otherwise it was Little Tunnys galore ! I had several hits on baits out deep including a nice AJ and a couple bite and cut offs. Sailfish came up on my bait more than once, and if there was not so much weed in the water might have had better luck with them. It was a calm hot day on the water with lots of fish action out deep. By the end of the day I had landed 6 blackfin Tuna(21" and smaller), an Amberjack, King Mackeral, a couple small Almacos and all the hard fighting big Little Tunnys anyone could ever possibly want to catch. All the fish were quickly CPR'd ( catch photo released ) except for the king and 2 of the Little Tunnys.

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Nice report as always. If the moon is out in the morning you can forget about catching gogs in the beach. Runners work just as well if not better this time of year.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Sounds like a great day. Glad that king missed on the second bite. Very nice.
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report John. I had a feeling I was going to be cursing the sea weed on my lines this weekend with the wind blowing SE for days. Maybe it will bring the Dolphin (mahi) in close. Bait has become a challenge for me in Hollywood/Hallandale.

My current options:
    • Catch thread-fins in the river, but usually only once the sun comes up. I'm thinking about putting a bait pen out over night in the river, near my house, and hope it is still there at 4AM.
    • Dania pier has nice pilchards and you don't have to worry about the pier fisherman until 6AM. No parking until 5 or 6AM and I would rather fish in Hallandale.
    • I can buy the same Dania peir caught pilchards for $20 per dozen when Anglers opens at 5AM. They don't carry gogs very often any more.
    • Last weekend I was catching ballyhoo on a sabiki and bar jacks (looks like a blue runner with a neon blue stripe, nice baits) in Hallandale.

Gogs are pretty much out of the questions unless I can find someone to deliver a half dozen.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Very nice John.:Rockon
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,817 Captain
    Thanks for the compliments everyone.

My current options:
    • Catch thread-fins in the river, but usually only once the sun comes up. I'm thinking about putting a bait pen out over night in the river, near my house, and hope it is still there at 4AM.
    • Dania pier has nice pilchards and you don't have to worry about the pier fisherman until 6AM. No parking until 5 or 6AM and I would rather fish in Hallandale.
    • I can buy the same Dania peir caught pilchards for $20 per dozen when Anglers opens at 5AM. They don't carry gogs very often any more.
    • Last weekend I was catching ballyhoo on a sabiki and bar jacks (looks like a blue runner with a neon blue stripe, nice baits) in Hallandale.

Gogs are pretty much out of the questions unless I can find someone to deliver a half dozen.

There have to be gogs along the beach somewhere in your area. On a good morning, I can plug my well in 30 minutes. Of the options you mentioned, the last one is my fall back when all else fails.
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Another great trip for you there, John. If there's anybody that puts in the "work", It's you. That's one of the biggest kayak Bonita, I've seen. My 9 year old son was shocked at the photo of the King, "Biting" at you! He said he hopes you are ok ,lol
    Sincerely Karl
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 555 Officer
    Great report and pics John. Thanks for sharing.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune