Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Help finding fish around Canaveral

I usually fish out of Stuart so don't have much knowledge out of Canaveral even though I live in Orlando.
I have a friend coming down for a day and I've promised her for a year I'd take her out, finally got our schedules to line up.
She doesn't care what we catch, but I'd really like to put her on a tarpon, and kings would be nice too.
My basic plan would be to run the beach looking for schools of pogys to cast net.
Looking for tarpon, should I be looking for rolling fish or just pitch baits around the schools?
Are the kings off the beach too, or should I go to 8A or Pelicans and drift or slow troll baits around?
Being the Sunday befor the 4th, I know it's going to be a mad house so finding a place to fish that isn't packed may be the hard part. I'm just looking for a little guidance to at last form a game plan.

Replies

• WavewalkerWavewalker Posts: 35 Deckhand
    It is not a bad plan to head south out of the port along the beach and look for bait. Saturday there was quite a bit of bait past the pier and down by Patrick Air Force bait. There are some tarpon and snook around the bait along the beach but it is hit or miss. There are also little Tunny and lots of sharks. Drifting or bottom fishing live bait out at 8a or pelican flats is a more reliable method. Bottom fishing can be fun with catch and release red snapper on any wrecks or reefs 80 or deeper. The buoys around the port also can hold fish if you can get there early. Good luck.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    There have been plenty of pogies anywhere from the inside of the port and all the way down the beach from the pier to the Steeple

I would try both on the bait pods and 8A or Pelican depending on how the action is on the beach. From what Ive seen, no one is setting the world on fire at either, on the beach or offshore. Obviously your best bet on the Tarpon will be on the bait pods. You'll also find some big Jacks and sharks.

Good luck and post up a report and some pictures! :beer
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely post pictures and a report. I get a lot of info off this site, I like to give back.
  • river_ratriver_rat Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I fished on the beach last week around Indian Harbour and didn't have any luck, but did see some bait. Kind of hit or miss. Def let us know how it turns out and I'll do the same as I plan to hit it up a lot this summer
  • catchme1catchme1 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Well this is what I found yesterday. Left Bluepoints 8:30 no signs of life then saw one bird dive went over to investigate a giant ball of fish on the sonar grab cast net circled back gone then saw flipping head that way not marking threw net nothing. Continued out port nothing stopped a couple of buoy got a handful of greenies went south. Saw no bait until near steeples threw net nothing. Its a little tough to drive boat and cast net. Kept going at best some scattered bait and no sign of life. About twenty miles south tried to find tug boat wreck could not find it guess my numbers are off. The chatter from the charters seems like they were scattered some north some south report kings.

If it would be me I'd check the beach if no bait around head out but have some dead bait just in case. I don't know when you are planning your adventure but keep hetzel reef in mind it will be blowing up with cobia and kings any day watch for the cold water upwelling it is a blast but no one will tell you its going on kinda a secret it happens sometime around the 4th of July. Good luck - tight lines
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Ran south on the beach yesterday, didn't find pogies til south of Patrick. Saw some rolling tarpon but none were aggressively feeding. Broke off a big shark, that was about it for right on the beach. If you want a "sure thing", about a mile off Satellite Beach-Indialantic there are tons of Bonita. Look for the birds and the fish busting the surface. It's a good backup plan, tons of fun on light tackle, and they were crushing topwaters. Just run right up to them while they are tearing up the surface, you only have about a minute with them up top before they go back down. Wait em out or go find more, they were everywhere.
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the tips guys, unfortunately the trip got cancelled, again, so I didn't get a chance to go. I spent the day cleaning the boat instead. On the plus side, I didn't have to deal with the holiday traffic at the ramp.