FIRST TIME TUNA HUNTERS

Staying the month of July on BPK, have never trolled for tuna - what baits do we troll and how far out/depths? Looks like the Mahi bite is really tough vs. last year...trying some new stuff.

Best fishes,

Tim
The FIRST Amendment...Sponsored by...The SECOND Amendment :USA

Replies

• SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 661 Officer
    My advice... Hire Pinner Wahoo at the beginning of your trip to get you dialed.
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Pull small 4" feather jigs or mini turbo slammers on lighter 40# flouro leaders way back in spread, very small swivel, edge of reef on out. Look for birds, many times they are on fast moving skipjacks in 400'-600'. Small moldcraft bird followed by small squid daisy chain followed by smaller feather jig can get hits.

Hiring pinerwahoo is a great recommendation.
  • Salty Cracker 321Salty Cracker 321 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    When will you be in BPK? I'll be there from the 11-18, and plan of fishing mostly for tuna.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,325 Captain
    go small feather LATE afternnon around synset
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Fast troll the feathers 10 to 12 MPH look for the birds they will show you where the tuna are.:fishing
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • bonebone Posts: 1,088 Officer
    140-220ft. early and late. Birds are usually on fish but fish are often not with birds. Your tuna lures should be so far back you need to take a break reeling them in.
  • moontimemoontime Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    good stuff in here. thanks everybody for their contributions!