Repower my Proline

diverritediverrite Posts: 166 Deckhand
I would like every ones input on repowering my 1995 Proline 240, enclosed transom with bracket. Currently have a Johnson 225 on it.

Please share any thoughts on two strokes, any brand. I have heard try to go with the most HP you can afford and that your boat can handle.

I'm thinking of going to at least a 250.

How did you decide on a brand, dealer and any prices you came up with.

Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Diverrite aboard "Step Into Liquid"

Replies

• SignaturestrikeSignaturestrike Posts: 457 Deckhand
    Alot of people seem like they are jumping on the new Suzukis when they go to repower. As far as going to a 250. It would all depend on what the boat is rated for and what your insurance company will think about a horsepower increase. I have heard of a insurance company dropping someone who repowered and hung twin 300s when the boat originally had 225s. I don't know all the circumstances that were involved.
    I'm sure some others will chime in and give you some more info. Good luck with your repower hopefully you get it figured out before you pull ALL your hair out!
    Signature strike; Rod tip goes tip.......tip........tip..tip at that point get tight and man the battle stations!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,664 Moderator
    There are a lot of good motors out there today to chose from. I repowered with a 2012 175 ETEC over 350 hours no issues.
    Most important is dealer service, how close, and are there mechanics certified for the brand that they sell.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    larrywitt
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,210 AG
    All the major manufactures are about even now.
    Buy from some one close to you so you don't have to drive hours to get it worked on.

I'm a big merc fan. But the e-techs are getting some great revues.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• bigh20bigh20 Posts: 251 Officer
    I have owned Suzuki, Yamaha, and Evinrude. All of them were pretty darn good motors however, my favorite was the Evinrude. Hard to beat the automatic break in feature, the engine fog feature, the 7 year warrantee, and the 300 hour scheduled service intervals. I personally changed out my fuel filters and lower unit oil far more frequently but overall the service costs were far less (even factoring in the use of 2 stroke oil) than what I currently deal with for my Yamaha. I had a high output motor which was basically a bigger engine detuned slightly to meet the horsepower limitations of the boat. That motor was wayyyy overbuilt for the horsepower.

Again, liked all the motors and would not hesitate to buy a boat with any of them on the transom.
  • diverritediverrite Posts: 166 Deckhand
    Congrats on quit smoking, hope u are feeling better and didn't gain weight, my vice is BBQ, sweet tea and real FF's
    Thanks every one, I will keep in mind when I act.

I did see on "Ship Shape" John said his E Tec had left him stranded too many times and he went with a Yam. He said it had too many bugs the dealer couldn't get worked out.
    diverrite wrote: »
    Thanks every one, I will keep in mind when I act.

I did see on "Ship Shape" John said his E Tec had left him stranded too many times and he went with a Yam. He said it had too many bugs the dealer couldn't get worked out.

Ship shape is scripted and nothing more then a infomercial. For who ever pays the most.

gandrfab wrote: »
    Ship shape is scripted and nothing more then a infomercial. For who ever pays the most.

He just got a new Sea Vee with Yams, so they probably gifted it to him.
    Or gave him a huge discount.

• squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 529 Officer
    diverrite wrote: »
    I would like every ones input on repowering my 1995 Proline 240, enclosed transom with bracket. Currently have a Johnson 225 on it.

Please share any thoughts on two strokes, any brand. I have heard try to go with the most HP you can afford and that your boat can handle.

I'm thinking of going to at least a 250.

How did you decide on a brand, dealer and any prices you came up with.

Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out.

with a small bracket - you're going to be limited in your choice,due to weight of motor

a flotation style bracket will help
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,105 Officer
    I have a 2003 24 sport. It came w a 225 optimax. Was pretty good but the high pressure air pump sucked. If it blows (mfg says 750 hrs!) it can blow crap into the air rials. 4k to replace those. It blew a cylinder at 2800 hours.
    I went w a 250 etec. Its a 2012. Have had zero issues (except blown LU at 850 that was covered under warranty). I have 1500 hrs on it now. We use it every weekend. Mostly trolling offshore. Great dealer nearby as well. I too change the LU fluid more often (abt every 100 hrs)
    Avg 300 hr service cost is about $500.00
    Fall/winter is coming when all the mfg will be offering great deals and even greater warranties.
    WRT Suzuki, when I looked at them 4 years ago, the extended "warranty" was a 3rd party insurance, not a factory warranty. Hopefully that has changed.
    I'd like to sell mine and get the new G2!

Oh, and whatever one u get, get the fly by wire controls...they are sweet