transducer question

Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
Hello folks,
I have an ocean kayak trident 13 and a hummingbird 385ci on it. I have never gotten a good reading of depth and I am looking to you for some suggestions. Let me run down what I have tried;
I put in the original kit the HB 385ci came with (plastic **** with adhesive to hold it down and some grease to coat the bottom of the trans. and a velcro strap to hold the trans in place and down) this did not work for me.
I tried some other clear adhesive another local angler suggested, and it didnt work. I alos tried some 3M 5200 Marine adhesive and it did not work either. Today I ran to the auto parts store (dont love neat a marina) and grabbed some grease. I made a **** of plumber putty to hold the transducer in place(outlines the trans. first) and then placed the grease in it. I got no depth reading. I pulled it out and dropped it in a cup water I had there and nothing. I wiped off the grease and dropped it back in the cup of water and got a reading. I am at a loss, can anyone suggest a way for me to get this thing working?
Keith

Replies

• kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 441 Deckhand
    Use one of the wells you made and just use water instead of all that other stuff.

You could also switch to a scupper transducer. I used the electrical putty as a well with water for a long time and just lately switched to a thick piece of rubber with a cut out for the transducer and fill it with water. Both worked fine.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
    thank you very much. I searched on here and found a lot of people talking about duct seal. i will give it a try, thanks.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    I've done duct seal, worked ok but didn't last long.
    I've done marine silicone, and that worked well but I might have sacrificed a bit of resolution and never get accurate water temp.
    Best bet is to have the transducer in the water. I did a through scupper mount once, and it worked great. Now with the new Hobie kayaks they have a dedicated pocket for the transducer under the kayak, really convenient.
    Let me see if I can find that through scupper mount for you.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Here it is,
    http://www.austinkayak.com/products/8561/Lowrance-Kayak-Scupper-Transducer-Mount.html

It's for a lowrance but I'm sure you can modify it to suit your needs.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    The Trident 13 should already have a molded transducer well that fits smaller Hummingbird transducers in one of the scupper plugs. It should be one under a scupper plug in the rear tank well.
    I do have the scupper that will accept that specific transducer, but dont want to pay 100 for it if i dont have to.
    I bought some duct seal today and made the pancake and turned the unit on and no depth reading, so I quickly turned off the unit and made the well and filled with water, and tried again and no reading. I took it out and placed it in a styrofoam cup of water and got a depth reading. Why is this transducer not shooting through the plastic of the hull?
    I have been in touch with Humminbird and they are sending me some of their grease to place on the bottom of the transducer, so I will hold it in place with the duct seal dam i created, which will be a similar set up to their install kit plastic mold.
    Any thoughts
    Keith
    oh yeah, do you guys scuff your transducer bottom with sandpaper or should it be left smooth? I watched some videos that should people scuffing theirs
    Keith
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 441 Deckhand
    Are you testing this while your kayak is in the water? I'm not quite getting the cup of water thing making a reading. Go out in the water and test one of these systems. If it does not work, pull the transducer out and drop it over the side. See if it is working correctly in depth. I am guessing you are expecting to see something showing depth while on land.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • dcrdcr Posts: 306 Deckhand
    I get bogus depth readings on my Lowrance unless I wait to turn it on in at least 3-4' of water.
    Ok, i used the duct seal and made a dam filled it with water and put it on the neighborhood lake, and BAM!! It worked. I was getting false readings in the garage. Humminbird is going to send me some of their grease and I will replace the water in the dam with their grease and hopefully i will never have to put water in there again.
    I am glad this is finally working.
    Thanks for all of the help, and the place to let some of the frustration out.
    Keith
  • FLCoyoteFLCoyote Posts: 271 Deckhand
    I bought a Humminbird Piranha about two years ago for use with my Kayak. Never got around to using it until I was fishing a lake in a Jon boat and decided to hook something up. I cut a piece of 18" 2X4 and put the transducer on one end and the control head on the other end facing the opposite way. I put a couple of blade connectors on the positive/negative wiring and ran the wires to a 12 Volt Lithium batter I got from Amazon that weighs about three pounds. I finished it off with a six inch metal clamp from Home Depot. It works perfectly on any boat with a transom and will work on a Kayak with any flat mounting surface. I think my total investment was $140. I think the battery would power it for about a week. I know that some depth finders are set up with suction cups for the transducers, but the set up I rigged works great. Just make sure the transducer is at least 1 inch under the water and mount the control head where you can see it without turning around. With a Kayak you could even just sit it on the floor.

FLCoyote
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    I highly recommend switching to the scupper transducer. I installed mine 6 years ago and it's worked great since then. You don't have to buy a new transducer, Humminbird will switch Transducers with you free of charge. You can send in your transducer and they'll send you a scupper one. No extra parts, it's in direct contact with the water and you don't have to worry about grease or sealant or anything.
  • DevodudDevodud Posts: 355 Deckhand
    "If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough"