Best rig to fish the reef.

What is the best rig to fish the reef. Not for a specific species but for anything that bites (mutton, yellowtail, grouper etc.)

Looking for hook size and weight size. Or is it better to free line into the chum.

I plan on running 15lb braid with a couple feet of 30lb fluro leader. Should I used a slip sinker? If so should I add it before the swivel or after? Or should I tie and line to line knot? I plan on using live bait fish, chunk, and shrimp.

I will Be fishing sombrero reef.

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    either way works on the slip sinker 1/4 to 1/2 OZ should be plenty. hook size could be from a #4 to a 2/0. I would drop the leader size down to 20 fluorocarbon. I would also try both bottom and free line. go with whats working at the time.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • pinfisherpinfisher Posts: 317 Deckhand
    you'r not going to catch BIG snapper with that braid freelining
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,435 AG
    We use 15lb flouro and the smallest hooks possible.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Kerick23Kerick23 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    pinfisher wrote: »

Can you explain please. I've heard 15-20lb braid is sufficient for reef fishing? Should I go higher. I will be using. A 3000 series reel.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Kerick23 wrote: »
    Can you explain please. I've heard 15-20lb braid is sufficient for reef fishing? Should I go higher. I will be using. A 3000 series reel.
    I think the braid is fine, but I would recommend a longer leader...10-15 feet.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 969 Officer
    Pinfish above is stating that large snappers are very wary. Free lining (drifting a bait back in the current) is different than bottom fishing. The braid is much more visible than mono. In general, braid with a 2' leader will not fool many snappers in any venue, unless it is very dirty water. The 30# leader is too heavy for yellowtailing unless maybe at night with bigger tails.

You will need to use stealth in all ways possible for your snapper fishing. If you use braid try to use at least a 20-30' leader. That being said, I still would not do it personally. Now, with grouper braid can be very helpful in detecting the bite, setting the hook and keeping the fish from cutting you off in the rocks. You must stop a grouper in the first few seconds or it is game-over.

For yellowtail and mangroves I use a 5000-8000 size spinning reels with mono running line and floro leaders of 10-20# test that are usually at least 8' long and longer. Many serious mutton fishermen will use a 20'+ leader to avoid spooking the fish.

When fishing the reef you will need to employ several different riggings to be successful. Author Vic Dunaway in conjunction with Florida Sportsman have published a great book. "Complete book of baits, rigs and tackle"
    https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Baits-Rigs-Tackle/dp/0936240245
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,575 Captain
    knocker rig
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UK AnglerUK Angler Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Am I right in thinking that a knocker rig has the hook next to the lead? I've seen a lot of vids talking about it- but then a lot of vids where the leader away from the lead to the hook is 20 feet plus.

They seem to be acres apaprt- is there a time to use one...and a time to use another?

Seems like with 20 feet of line a fish could get to safety easier without letting you know youve got a bite. Whereas a knocker seems instant?
  • KmonKmon Posts: 806 Officer
    pinfisher wrote: »

No to start anything but we have caught plenty of BIG snapper with braid free lining. Not sure why you would say that?
  • pinfisherpinfisher Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Big is over 26 inches for YTs